300 Win Mag

AKBman

Wondering about how many rounds I can expect to get from the barrel of my stainless Ruger M77MKII in 300WM? I love to shoot it, and especially like to load for it, but I hunt with it almost exclusively and I don't want to burn out the barrel too fast.

Dave
http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.com/displayimage.php?album=42&***=0

Competitive shooters typically rebarrel at about 1000 rounds. Hunters may get by with 1500 to 2000 rounds. It depends on when one notices the accuracy level getting worse.

High Desert Hunter,
I just pulled my 300WM barrel off my Savage, and it was still shooting well at 1688rds. It was starting to head downhill, but I think it still has another 100-200rounds left in it for closer range shooting. Keep track of your throat erosion, and expect to see it move forward .003"-.004" for each hundred rounds you put through it. Adjust your loads to suit. This barrel grew about .003" for the first 400 rounds, but stabalized after that, and has grown much less. I don't have any experence with rugers, but Jimm's son has a stainless ruger 300WM that he used on Pdogs in the texas panhandle last fall, scoring on a few out at 600 or so yards (with a 3-9 scope no less). He may be able to offer additional information on throat erosion rates in your barrel.

Id probably expect 1300, more with conservative loading, cleaning, and allowing that barrel to cool when its time.

Just keep chasing the throat, and eventually, precision will start tapering off, and it time for another.

Muchas Gracias. I tend to think about my 22-250 when it comes to throat erosion, but it stands to reason that it would be a concern in the 300. I really love the Win Mag, it is easy to load for, and I find it to be just right for anything on North America, and if I ever get rich enough to hunt Africa, it will go there too. My favorite memory with it to date is the Toklat Grizzly I took in the Alaska Range back in 2002. Hope take a deer and elk this year now that I am living in New Mexico.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.