300 win mag

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by jskmtd, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

This is may first semi-custom rifle, so the wait almost killed me with anticipation.
    Savage 116 action
    Number 5 28" Benchmark barrel with 6 straight flutes chambered and throated for the 215 Berger hybrid by Kevin Rayhill
    Center Shot Rifles Mini Muscle Magnum brake
    McMillan Gamescout stock 70% black, 15% grey, and 10% dark grey with pillars
    Bolt fluted by Twisted Barrel
    Custom bolt knob off of Ebay
    Ken Farrel 40 moa base
    TPS rings
    Scope is a Leupold vari-x III 6.5-20x50 LR T
    Rifle weighs in at 11lbs. 5oz. as it sits.
    The target was shot with WW brass, H-1000, federal 215 primers, and Berger 215 hybrids

I'm still working on a load for it, but the rifle is showing promise. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

It looks great man, I know all about that wait and it never gets any easier! What are your impressions of the stock?

3. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

I really like the stock, however if I could change something I would flatten out the area that rides the bag at the rear of the stock. It is a little steep. I will use this rifle for backpack hunting and wanted a slimmer stock.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Jon

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

That is a very nice rifle. I think we see the beginning of yet another love affair with a quality 300 win.

Best of luck with it. Keep us posted on how she performs.gun)

Jeff

5. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

See what you started Jeff, lots of new 300 win mags being built/bought:D I only hope mine works half as good as yours.
    Jon

6. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Jon, it looks great! Been following your other thread about the load development--looks like you are getting there. AND, you are right, it IS all Broz's fault........:D

Randy

7. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

Randy,
    Thanks for the kind words. Shot again this morning, had a good group going and pulled the 3rd shot. Who knows if it would have been a keeper so I will go test again tonight.
    Jon

8. clemens

clemens Well-Known Member

Sweet rifle.

9. MOOSE39465

MOOSE39465 Well-Known Member

Cool looking rifle. Get some 208 grain A-MAxs and try them out. I think you will really like them also.

10. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice comments. I may have to try some of the 208 A-max's.
    Jon

11. shortpants

shortpants Well-Known Member

Beautiful rifle! You can add me to those building a clone of Broz's 300win. I can relate to how hard the wait is. I went with the A-3 which has an identical drop on the buttstock as the Gamescout. Like you I'm concerned about how it will handle during recoil but a + side to it is that it makes vertical adjustment during target acquisition a little quicker. When I get mine we should compare notes on load development. Sounds like all the components are going to be similar.

12. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

Thanks Shortpants. I'm really happy with how the rifle turned out. Let me know when your rifle is finished and we can compare notes. How much longer before your rifle will be completed?

Jon

13. shortpants

shortpants Well-Known Member

I expect it around February. My shooting partner is also having one built at the same time and same gunsmith.