300 win mag versus 300 remington utlra mag

texasdave

I currently have a remington sendero in a 300 win mag caliber. In talking with a gunsmith his suggestion was to rechamber and go to the 300 rum. Just courious what everyones thought are about this. Am I really improving the rifle ? I am looking for the pros and cons of this. Thanks in advance to everyone who replys.

Dave, I had a Sendero in .300RUM, and loved it. But, I personally dont think it was a "great" improvement over a .300WM.
.300UM a little more expensive to load for, ie more powder, brass.

But, I guess I am partial to the old reliable .300WM though.
wink.gif

If you have a .300WM, that shoots well, I'd leave it alone..sakofan..

Don't know what bullet you are shooting.But I was running a 178gr A-Max at "very" close to 3400fps with my sendero in 300 Ultra.With .5moa accuracy for 5 shots at 100 yards

A year ago I was looking for a .338, and I ran through the whole WM vs. RUM question...

The out of the barrel performance of the WM vs. the RUM is similar. Don't expect much more than 100 fps of improvement, which for game and sub-500 yard shots is a non-issue.

The recoil is about 25% greater with the RUM. Recoil is actually slightly HIGHER for the .300 RUM than it is for the .338 RUM. Your shoulder can't tell the difference. The .300 RUM holds slightly more powder which accounts for the difference. Total recoil is DOUBLE that for the 7mm RM.

The .300 RUM is an over-bore cartridge, plan on more throat erosion and less barrel life.

Reloading costs are more. Brass is +$50/100. More powder as well.

Personally I'd stick with the .300 WM.

Mark in Utah

P.S. I ended up getting a .338 RUM in 700 LSS simply because I got it at a price I simply could NOT refuse. Put a Vais brake on it to domesticate the monster.

Dave,

As mark said if your shooting under 500 yards it isn't worth all the time and money to work up a new load, only to have the gun shoot a few inches flatter, But if your going to the 1000+ yards then it is, but if your shooting that far you might want to get a longer barrel so you can use all that powder.

Brian

Try running your figures through a ballistics
program,this will help you figure out the difference.I have owned both and I keep telling myself more vel = more range!!!

The 300 RUM has more like a 200-250 FPS advantage over the 300 WM. when hunting LR or taking big game like grizzlies and elk, that means something in my book.

On the other hand, if youre priority is accuracy and you have a rifle that is doing what you want in that department, leave well enough alone. If what you really want is extra punch, change it. You never know the barrel may shoot even more accurate when the smith is done!

[ 01-28-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]

I have a .300win mag H-S Precision rifle with a 26" barrel.
Accuracy is great.
I get 3400fps with 165gr loads.
3250fps with 180gr loads.
3050 with 200gr loads.

I think you can better those by up to 200fps but at quite a price in increased powder and recoil.

Unless you can really make use of that extra velocity, I would go with the .300win mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.