300 Win Mag Savage Introduction HELP

Tyeallen

Hi I am new to this forum and I still have my trusty pre-64 270 for mybdeer and elk rifle when I plan to shoot 400 yards and closer, it is topped with a Leupold 4.5x16 and I am shooting sub MOA groups with hand load Berger VLD in 150 grain.

Now for my question I have recently have purchased a Savage LRH in a 300 Win Mag I plan on loading it with the Berger 215 Hybrid. Please give me any advise you have for a scope, MOA Rail, and Rangefinder. I am looking to shoot out to 1000 if I can realistically shoot that far consistently. I would like to stay under $2000 for these and I don't mind used.

Hey there,

Congrats on the new rifle. I recently purchased the same model in 6.5-284. You will get many great answers and opinions, but here is my .02.

Base, Many good bases to choose from, but I went with the Blackhawk! 20 MOA base. Aluminum, but sturdy, I liked the feel and heard good reviews. (around $40-$50)

Rings, Burris Tactical Rings don't suck, but neither to Talley, Warne, and Vortex for the price.

Glass, I am a huge Vortex fan, and without knowing your preference, I would say the Viper HS-LR in a 4-16X50 is a good bet. I love mine, and For the price, you couldn't be happier.

Rangefinders vary greatly, but I think you shouldn't skimp here. Rangefinders that say 1000 will rarely if ever actually get to 1000. Keep this in mind. I upgraded to a Bushnell Elite 1600 this year, and I ranged a few rocks at 1320. Thats far enough to accurately get to the fabled 1000 yard mark.

Good Luck getting your goodies figured out, and keep us up to date with your build, we all get excited while living vicariously through others.

Beware of the Nikon Monarch rangefinders... Junk. My cheaper rifleman rangefinder which cost about half the price has been more reliable and is also optically superior. But nothing I currently own will do for 1000 yards. For longer ranges, it is Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.