300 Win Mag or 300 Ultra

I know the 300 rum has somewhat diminished bore life compared to the 300 win. I'm at 1200 rounds and change on my 300 win and it shows no real wear. My 300 rum was bought used and now has 500-600 rounds on it, also with no real wear. I've been using the same rum brass since I bought my 7rum(which I traded well worn), so 1/2 of my brass still says 7rum on the head. I've gotten some new brass, but it sits for the most part.
I'm o.k. with 10 years or more of use out of a barrel. Watch your barrel heating, shoot when it's cold out, clean your barrel well, and watch your load intensity, and you'll double your barrel life or more.

Watch your barrel heating, shoot when it's cold out, clean your barrel well, and watch your load intensity, and you'll double your barrel life or more.[/QUOTE]

This has been my practice too. Never overheated it and clean it like a fool.

Watch your barrel heating, shoot when it's cold out, clean your barrel well, and watch your load intensity, and you'll double your barrel life or more.

This has been my practice too. Never overheated it and clean it like a fool.[/QUOTE]
Only way to play...
Tillamook, eh...
I haven't been there in two years.
Lived in Gresham for a year in the 90's. Ever shoot at Douglass Ridge in the Boring area?? That was my range when I was in Oregon.

you guys must shoot a whole lot more than me. I've had my RUM since 2001 or 2002 if I recall correctly and I bet it hasn't had more than 100 rounds through it. I work up a load, confirm it, then load up about 200 rounds and the rifle is set with ammo for as long as I'll live. I haven't hunted with it since 2004.

you guys must shoot a whole lot more than me. I've had my RUM since 2001 or 2002 if I recall correctly and I bet it hasn't had more than 100 rounds through it. I work up a load, confirm it, then load up about 200 rounds and the rifle is set with ammo for as long as I'll live. I haven't hunted with it since 2004.
I try for at least 100 rounds +- through each rifle each year so I have a feel for the rifle if I need to grab and go so to speak. I'm sorely lacking with a couple of rifles, but I have 11 so I've still got a bunch of rounds downrange. I've put between 300 and 400 through my 7stw getting and another 400-500 rounds through my two 270's getting them all figured out (one was a bugger, as was the 7stw).

I try for at least 100 rounds +- through each rifle each year so I have a feel for the rifle if I need to grab and go so to speak. I'm sorely lacking with a couple of rifles, but I have 11 so I've still got a bunch of rounds downrange. I've put between 300 and 400 through my 7stw getting and another 400-500 rounds through my two 270's getting them all figured out (one was a bugger, as was the 7stw).

Nice. I don't have that kind of time. Wife and 3 kids going 4 different directions keeps me busy. Work all day, come home and hold each kid accountable for all homework, help with studying for quizzes and tests, prep and eat dinner, get online and play in some forums and it's bedtime.

300 Win Mag gets my vote. As pointed out earlier, I don't care much for the 300RUM. 2 bad experiences. Maybe I didn't clean them right, load them right or whatever. Could have been operator error.

That stated, I think the WM is more forgiving if your cleaning regimine is not perfect or you screw up and fire a few loads that are too hot in the developmental stage.

Both are capable of great accuracy. One will be accurate longer with less recoil and less supplies. The trade off of course is energy. IMHO, if you need more energy or more retained energy than a 300 Win Mag, move to a 338.

M

Nice. I don't have that kind of time. Wife and 3 kids going 4 different directions keeps me busy. Work all day, come home and hold each kid accountable for all homework, help with studying for quizzes and tests, prep and eat dinner, get online and play in some forums and it's bedtime.
Wife, 2 kids, 2 jobs here.... I get out a couple of afternoons a month and lay out some lead.... It's been different this year with 3 rifles needing the wringing out..

No complaints here with my 300 RUM. Shooting a factory Remington bought in 2001. Probably have 700 - 800 rounds through it and absolutely no complaints with accuracy. In fact I'm waiting for my 300 RUM long range rig to be finished in the next couple weeks. It'll have a Predator action and Hart barrel. As for barrel life, its all relative. I don't see the cost of a new barrel as being a big deal and I enjoy shooting and working up loads...

I would be willing to accept the accelerated bore wear and the costs of replacing the barrel. I was more concerned about having to monitor the effects of bore erosion on rifle zero, muzzle velocity, case pressure, and any affects on accuracy over time. If a guy zero's the rifle and then shoots it to confirm zero and then for hunting (perhaps 12-20 shots per year), it may not really be an issue. I tend to shoot a little more than that for purposes of getting acquainted and comfortable with my long range rifles. I don't want to have to worry about a rate of bore erosion that might require continual monitoring and tweaking of powder charges or bullet seating depth as the throat erodes and the bore firecracks or becomes rougher, in order to maintain rifle zero and MV, and to maintain an optimally accuracy load.

At this point in my hobby, I plan to melonite treat any replacement barrels I place on my rifles. Here's link to a recent Thread that covers the melonite treatment process and the extended bore life being experienced following that treatment process. Melonite treatment of barrels could help mitigate the trade off of shortened bore life with some of our commonly employed overbore, high performance, magnum cartridges.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/melonite-salt-nitride-barrels-100837/#post712140

300 Win Mag gets my vote. As pointed out earlier, I don't care much for the 300RUM. 2 bad experiences.

Both are capable of great accuracy. One will be accurate longer with less recoil and less supplies. The trade off of course is energy. IMHO, if you need more energy or more retained energy than a 300 Win Mag, move to a 338.

M

Bingo, I agree 100%!! Just like I said earlier.

Jeff

Jeff and Michael almost have me convinced.

Plan of action: Convert my 300 RUM to a 338 Edge and convince the missus to let me build up a win mag.

--Ben

This has been my practice too. Never overheated it and clean it like a fool.
Only way to play...
Tillamook, eh...
I haven't been there in two years.
Lived in Gresham for a year in the 90's. Ever shoot at Douglass Ridge in the Boring area?? That was my range when I was in Oregon.[/QUOTE]

No I haven't. I live on the family dairy and can shoot out to 1200 yards across flat ground as often as I want weather permitting.

So I think I am sticking with the Win Mag for now. I was cruising Gunbroker looking at the Savage in 338 Lapua, it looks to be a little cheaper out of the gate than a 338 Edge. For right now, I think my initial goal is better glass, a better rangefinder, look at stocks, but I may wait for the stock until I decide on whether to rebarrel or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.