.300 win mag improvements?

Death Ray 7

O.K. this is a "what if" kind of question for improvements for a long range hunting cartridge.

What if:

You increase the shoulder diameter from .489" to .495"
You take the shoulder angle from 25* to 35* (ack. imp.).
You increase the neck length from SAAMI (.256" I think) to .350"-.370" or so.
You keep the same length from rim to the start of the neck (don't remember the length).

Wouldn't this allow you to seat the longer bullets (220gr SMK & 210gr Berger) farther out of the case? As well as increase case capacity over the standard .300 win mag?

And now the big question: Could you still use factory .300 win mag ammo?

Basically it's a .300 win mag ack impr, but with a slightler longer neck. If my gun makes it to Whitehorse, YK but my ammo doesn't, I want to be able to run into Wal-mart and buy over the counter ammo. I understand accuracy might not be the greatest, but would it work?

Will you be using a different case to make this round. Kind of hard to add neck length if you keep the case body length the same??

This will really have little effect on how far out you can seat the bullet. this is determined by the length of your throat and what the magazine will allow.

TO be honest, the amount of improvement you will get from this design will be very minimul. If you want more performance in the same length class case, I would recommend looking at a 300 Dakota or 300 Wby.

If your worried about ammo being available, go with the 300 Win Mag or a simple improved version that will allow use of factory ammo. In my opinion, with that bore diameter, improving the 300 Win Mag is alot of money for little gain in performance.

Everyone says the neck on the 300 WM is to short, I do not understand this, never seems to effect accuracy at all in a well built rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, you would have to form off different cases than regular .300 win mag. But I think it would easily do-able.

But I was hoping that with the longer neck that you could seat the bullet out further (aren't most actions are the same length for .375H&H and .300Win Mag?) and not have to worry about O.A.L. in your magazine.

By increasing the shoulder dia. and angle, and seating the bullet further out of the cartridge body, there should be ballistic improvements for the heavier bullets.

I've never seen any data for a .300 Win Mag Ack Imp., but I have to believe this is similar to what Bruce Baer is doing with his .308 Baer Cub (.308 Norma Mag Imp.), only this would be off a slightly longer case with increased capacity.

And I've already considered the .300 Weatherby, and the .300 Dakota (which is ideal other than you can't pick up ammo at most retail stores), but I'm hung up on the .300 WinMag for some reason.

I also realize that the bullet of a factory load would be jumping into the lands, but I think it would be better than nothing.

Would I be better off just building a long barreled "stock" .300WinMag caliber rifle and accurize it(bolts lapped, action trued, etc...)? Is there any improvement in ballistics with the .300WinMag Imp.?

Does anybody have reloading data for the Impr. version with the heavier bullets?

I have been down this road many times myself and always end up saying make it a tight chambered 300 win mag. You dont have alot of improvment options with the case. If you want to lenghten the neck you have to set back the shoulder. I hate that short neck also but what does it hurt? To blow out the sides and put a sharp shoulder on it may help but how much? Is it worth it to have to fire form brass and have custom dies made to maybe gain a few fps. The 308 norma mag or the 300/338 win mag is about the same cartridge as you are thinking of. And it also depends on your action. What is your max oal magazine length? OR maybe you want to go single shot so the oal does not matter. The 300 weatherby has always been a great long range round also. There are alot of great old cartridges based on the H&H that never get talked about.

Compared to a factory 300 WM chambering, a custom barrels with a custom chamber and throat will add more performance then improving the 300 WIn Mag case would on average.

From what I have heard, your looking at less then 100 fps increase in performance.

I would personally stick to the standard 300 WM with a min spec chamber, tight throat matched to the bullet you will be using and quality match grade barrel. If you like the performance of the 300 WM, this will be just what you want.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks guys. That's probably what I'm going to do.

Match specs on the chamber (.334 or .336 neck do you think?) and good match quality barrel in the 28" range (I'm thinking an ABS carbon) and then let a good gunsmith put the whole thing together (action trued, lugs lapped, etc...).

I'm hoping to put something together that will weigh in the 8-8.5 lb range.

You are just jealous of my 300RUM!! You shouldn't give me such good Christmas presents, then you wouldn't have to try to out do me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Yes I am!

And just remember that I had to trade in two guns (that Savage .300RUM and that Beretta shotgun)to get the Remington like you wanted.

By the way everybody, DNJ21 is my older brother.

Re: .300 win mag improvements? Kirby please respond to this?

I know lots of folks have been wanting to make the Old Man (300Win Mag) better then he already is, me included. So what about necking down a 8mm Rem Mag to .308 with no other changes. What I really want is a 300 mag without the belt. It has never given me any trouble, I just hate that **** thing.

Thanks Mr. Allen

Doug Lebeck

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts