300 Win Mag Custom

Guys on here can give you 20 different opinions on what they like or what their rifle likes, but the truth of the matter is it's going to come down to what your rifle likes, which unfortunately might mean that you have to purchase 10 different boxes of ammo before you find the magic pre rolled round

When I build a 300 win mag for my clients I short chamber them. The belt is turned in the chamber to match the gauges and the chamber is cut short so that the cases just fit in with little to no bolt tension. This allows the case to head space from the shoulder and not the belt.
Doing this improve the accuracy and case life.
Maybe worth a try if your getting one built.

When I build a 300 win mag for my clients I short chamber them. The belt is turned in the chamber to match the gauges and the chamber is cut short so that the cases just fit in with little to no bolt tension. This allows the case to head space from the shoulder and not the belt.
Doing this improve the accuracy and case life.
Maybe worth a try if your getting one built.
Does this create a problem with seating long VLD bullets too deeply and losing case capacity?

Does this create a problem with seating long VLD bullets too deeply and losing case capacity?
No and no. The case capacity doesnt change nor does the factory seating depth. Yes it closes the gap by about .015 inch however, the new cases and full length sized case are already that far back if not more. By short chambering the rifling lands are also closer to projectile.
So far I have done this on 300 Winchester magnums ,308 Norma magnums and 338 Winchester magnums. All have seen an improvement in accuracy and case life.

Copper Creek Cartridge offers sample packs loaded with different bullets and powders.
I shoot there ammo in a 6.5 x 284 and a 300 WSM. Been very pleased

I haven't shot the Federal Gold Metal with the 190 SMK, but I have up until this year ran 190 SMKs with 74.5 of Reloader 22. My Rifle shoots the 190s lights out and 11 elk and a ton of mule deer have died over the years to the combo. If the federals shoot well in your rifle I wouldn't even hesitate as to whether it's capable as a big game load.

No and no. The case capacity doesnt change nor does the factory seating depth. Yes it closes the gap by about .015 inch however, the new cases and full length sized case are already that far back if not more. By short chambering the rifling lands are also closer to projectile.
So far I have done this on 300 Winchester magnums ,308 Norma magnums and 338 Winchester magnums. All have seen an improvement in accuracy and case life.
Sure sounds to me like you will lose case capacity with a shorter throat forcing you to reduce your COAL unless I'm not understanding.

Sure sounds to me like you will lose case capacity with a shorter throat forcing you to reduce your COAL unless I'm not understanding.
Based on sammi specs the cardridge over all length is the same. The chamber is just shorter to match that length which is still longer than most magazines can hold

Price is a concern to a non reloader. Practice gets expensive. Some of the ammo mentioned is $60.00 a box! Sure it's great but..I found Federal Gold Medal Match
for $19.99 a box! ( I got Plenty)Trigger control is just that no matter what you are shooting
so are other little things. If I hunt with something else all it takes is a few shots to get my numbers not 100's of practice rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.