300 Win Mag Choices

Savagekid

My uncle, who was huge into elk hunting in Montana, recently just passed away. My aunt told me that I could have my choice of guns from his collection. I'm for sure going to take an older Model 70 in 264 Win Mag (nervous about this since I've heard these can be a finicky round).

My dilemma is which 300 Win Mag, out of three, I should take. He had a Winchester Model 70, Ruger M77 MK II and a Browning A-bolt. All three are stainless with the exact same Leupold on top. All three have the factory sporter barrel with synthetic stocks. I know I should test out all three, but I don't have the time to get out to Montana just for a test fire. He mostly used the Browning so I'm assuming that was the most accurate rifle. But I know all three models are reliable and of good quality, so I'm unsure.

I won't be modifying this rifle since I want to have it as an easy to carry weapon and already have a long range rifle. Looking for some input as to what I should do. And don't say take all three! I don't want or need three of virtually the same rifle.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Savage- my brother has a .264 and reloads for it. it is a fine round enjoy. of the others three i would take the winchester.

If it's a new haven win she'll likely shoot like crap until you ditch the stock. They were tupperware. I'd go with the a-bolt ss as I have one ( in left hand) and she'll do 1/2 moa all day without modds or aftermarket anything.

If you aren't going change it at all I'd probably go the Browning as I also have one that is a fantastic shooter! You can't go wrong with the Winchester either though

Go with the Browning. There is obviously more than just 1 reason why he used it the most. Probably accuracy, reliability, and smoothness. Also, the factoy detachable mag that fits in the foorplate is nice.

I have had 2 A-Bolt II's. Still have 1 of them. First one got stolen, replaced with the second. Both were shooters and just all-around excellent guns. Quality, fit, finish, and accuracy were top-notch.

Any smith can put a new barrel on the Browning with no issues. There are enough aftermarket options out there to fix it up a good bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.