300 win mag bullet

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by logguy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. logguy

logguy New Member

I have been shooting sierra game king with 1/2'' groups. retrieved bullet from elk with complete jacket core separation. would like one that shoots that good plus holds together. gun is off the shelf rem 700 stainless

2. digger11

digger11 Well-Known Member

If you retrieved the bullet ,I am lead to believe, dead bull. Why switch ,if it aint broke don't fix it. IMHO

3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

The 200 grain Nosler Accubond.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Some things one needs to consider, to get an accurate answer to this question is, how far are your average shots? The same bullet may or may not hold together at a longer distance, or simply using a heavier offering of the Sierra may also do it.

So what weight did you shoot and how far?

Also as far as will another bullet shoot 1/2" in your rifle? That will be an educated guess at best. Each rifle tends to have different cravings for bullet type and design. But we can offer what works in our rifles to give an idea of what to expect. My main hunting rifle is a 300 win.

I understand your preferences. Even though mine differ a little. I use fragmenting bullets for elk and take several each year. Under 500 yards they do not usually exit. Instead they expel all of their energy in the animal as they fragment, produce a large wound channel, and damage vital organs. Yet at longer distances with slowed impact velocities they expand less and usually exit. A harder bullet will usually not expand as much at long range and depending on cercumstances this could be a problem with terminal performance as well.

You are probably going to want to go to a bonded core bullet to keep the back 1/2 in tact. But first lets hear what weight you are currently shooting and the distance of that shot. Also what your longest perceived shot would be.

Jeff

5. logguy

logguy New Member

:D:)lightbulb:cool:

6. logguy

logguy New Member

180 grn bullet @ 380 yards, down hill- spine and off side lung. looking for accuracy suggestions so maybe won't have to try so many to find a good load

7. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Nosler accubond.

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good choices.

Personally under 600yds I think the Hornady Interlock and Interbond are impossible to beat on heavy, thick bodied critters.

Beyond that range the Hornady SST is a very good choice and the Nosler Accubond is a bullet I've had perform well for me on several dozen critters.

The Swift Sicrocco II in 180gr has performed extremely well for me from 100yds to 900yds on a dozen deer and big hogs but I've got less experience with it than the rest.

At close range the Sicoccos will do some wierd stuff. I haven't had any blow up but I have had them flatten out completely and go flipping off literally on a tangent through the chest cavity instead of passing through or following a logical path. The four deer I've shot with them never took a step. The one really big boar I shot with them was shot at 920yds if I remember right and the shot entered the first shoulder, passed through the spine, through the off shoulder and was buried up between the shield and skin. I couldn't ask for better performance.

The SST can be pretty explosive at under 300yds with 300wm velocities even if you don't strike the shoulder or leg bones. It will kill the hell out of them but you can waste a great deal of meat in doing so.

Of the interlock and interbonds that I've taken game with the performance has always been excellent. The only time I've ever failed to get a complete pass through with them was on straight on squared up chest shots in which case I've always found the bullet somewhere close to the pelvis, again, even on large hogs.

At 600yds plus, it's very hard to beat the performance of the SST's and Siroccos and both have very sound ballistic profiles.

Pick any of the above and put together a load that you can shoot well and you'll be in good shape.

9. squirrelduster

squirrelduster Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the accubond for closer range and the Bergers for longer range. I sight in for the Bergers at 200 but when hunting have the accubond first up.
    Normally for a longer shot I have time to switch to the Berger 190 load.