300 win mag and 200g Berger Hybrid

rshcwisdom

Has anyone used the 200g Berger Hybrid in a 300 win mag. I have read a lot of what Broz has written on the 215g Hybrid, I just don't think I can push that heavier bullet to the muzzle velocity that he does. If anyone has any info on the performance of this bullet or a good load it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rich

I have not used the 200 and have not studied it's construction so I can be of no help there. But I can tell you that I personally feel the 215 is the perfect bullet for a 300 win and we are often very surprised at the velocity we get with them in a 300 win. I have even seen 2980 from a 26" measured with a Magneto speed. I attribute this to the shorter bearing surface. Some friends have even loaded them in 308's and they work very well in those to and have stretched the limits of the 308 out substantially.

If you want to try the 215's I could send you a few so you could test velocity first. Even at 308 speeds these bullets seem to have wings.

Jeff

I have not used the 200 and have not studied it's construction so I can be of no help there. But I can tell you that I personally feel the 215 is the perfect bullet for a 300 win and we are often very surprised at the velocity we get with them in a 300 win. I have even seen 2980 from a 26" measured with a Magneto speed. I attribute this to the shorter bearing surface. Some friends have even loaded them in 308's and they work very well in those to and have stretched the limits of the 308 out substantially.

If you want to try the 215's I could send you a few so you could test velocity first. Even at 308 speeds these bullets seem to have wings.

Jeff

+1.

I was able to push the 215 up over 2900 in my 26" tube and it worked pretty well but my brass suffered. I now run them comfortably at 2845 fps with 75.5 grains of H1000. The 215s like a little jump in my rifle too. .070 and .085 work well for me in the guns I've used them in.

I'd guess if you're running H1000, your loads would end up at 76.5-77.0 with a Fed 215 or CCI 250 depending on what brass you use.

I appreciate all of the advice. I ordered a box of the 215's today, so we will see what I can push them at with H1000, WW brass and CCI 250.

Rich

rschwisdom,
Dont count out our 230 grain match hybrid tactical or OTM bullets. They were designed around the 300 WM cartridge. Just an FYI.

I realize this is an older post and you may be using the 215's. I thought I would comment as I used the 200 Hybrids in a 300 Win this last hunting season. Maybe this post can help some decide which bullet to try in their gun.
The rifle is a Remington 721 with a new 26" 300 Win Mag take off barrel. I attempted to load the 215's in it as well but only had H4831SC available to me. I could reach 2850fps with safe pressure levels but the barrel was in a scatter node. By the time I backed it down for accuracy the velocity was not acceptable to me.

I also ran the bullet stability through Berger's calculator and discovered that in 1 in 10" twist I was giving up a fair amount of B/C at those velocities being at sea level.
I loaded up the 200 Hybrid and being fully stabilized I didn't sacrifice any B/C. I found a great load with Rem brass, COAL of 3.625" (.030" jump), 77 grains of H4831SC and CCI250. It shoots consistently under .75 MOA and runs 2960fps with ES of under 15. .5 MOA has not been uncommon. I can't expect a lot more from a really rough factory barrel.

This last hunting season we took one buck at 20 yards heavily quartered away. Shot entered at back rib, destroyed vitals and stopped at the inside of the offside shoulder.

Second buck was a steep downhill at 308 yards. Shot entered a little high behind shoulder, destroyed lungs and exited from rear part of offside shoulder.

Third buck was another downhill 325 yard shot. Bullet entered slightly high behind shoulder, ruined lungs and got part of the heart, blew out three offside ribs and came to rest in the middle of the offside shoulder.

My younger son just took a spike bull elk with it a few weeks ago at 685 yards. Shot was a steep downhill, he placed two shots slightly high behind the shoulder. Lungs were wrecked and both bullets exited the off side. Expansion was noticeably less at this velocity but I was still pleased at the damage. Terminal performance looked typical of standard hunting VLD bullets that I've used in the past.

As a side note, I plan to try some RL26 soon and see if it provides a significant velocity increase within the upper accuracy node. Who knows, I may revisit the 215 if I can safely and accurately raise the velocity to a point where the bullet is fully stabilized.

I also know this is an older thread, but that's good info Tumblewwed. Now the Berger 200gr. 20X is another option. Little longer nose and boat tail, with a touch less bearing surface ( i.e. higher B.C.) should result in slightly higher velocitys. If the meplate is the same size as the200 hybrid, it may produce similar terminal results.

I have 300 Mag with a 1:10 Broughton (25") barrel that gets 2825 fps using a 215 hybrids. Which is a tad slow, and I'm ok with that. But I'm with you on the fact that when it gets colder and I go elk or muley hunting in higher elevations, my calculated BC drops because my 1:10 twist is marginal for the 215's. I kinda feel I'm leaving some performance on the table.....

I also know this is an older thread, but that's good info Tumblewwed. Now the Berger 200gr. 20X is another option. Little longer nose and boat tail, with a touch less bearing surface ( i.e. higher B.C.) should result in slightly higher velocitys. If the meplate is the same size as the200 hybrid, it may produce similar terminal results.

I have 300 Mag with a 1:10 Broughton (25") barrel that gets 2825 fps using a 215 hybrids. Which is a tad slow, and I'm ok with that. But I'm with you on the fact that when it gets colder and I go elk or muley hunting in higher elevations, my calculated BC drops because my 1:10 twist is marginal for the 215's. I kinda feel I'm leaving some performance on the table.....

Brent, unless I misunderstood you, your b/c won't decrease at higher elevation but will actually improve to the point of achieving full rated b/c.
Have you tried RL26 yet? It can literally raise your velocity 150fps over H1000 or H4831. I loaded up RL26 and 215's to easily reach 3k but did not find accuracy due to mechanical issues with the rifle I have yet to sort out...$$. I could also push the standard 200 hybrids to 3150fps. I have been watching those 200.20x bullets and they could have a good place in the mix too

Your right Tumbleweed, I said it backwords. The higher elevation will stabilize the bullets better. On the other hand, at my home elevation of 800~ the temp has to get above 60 degrees to achieve full stability and max BC. I know I can input the difference into my ballistic calculator if I sight in or shoot at colder temps, but, well, you know.......one less thing. Haha. I guess I don't like the idea of being right on the edge.
I do have access to some RL26, and have herd similar results as to what you stated. I'm using H1000 now with great results. It's just a touch slow. Thanks for the tip Tumble.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.