300 win. How light is too light of a load?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tylercleary, Sep 16, 2006.

1. tylercleary

tylercleary Well-Known Member

I’ve been working up a load for my 300 Win. With 200 gr. Accubonds and H-1000. I found that I got great accuracy with 67.5 grains of H-1000 - the bullets kept piling up on each other at 100 yrds, So I thought that was it –Bingo! Well, normally this would not be a problem, however I chrone’d the load today and was happy and disappointed by my results. My ES was 12 (good) But my average speed was only 2554 fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This will get me to 775yrds with 1029 ft/ lbs energy. Now, realistically I wouldn’t shoot that far because my rangefinder isn’t reliable passed 600 yards (Nikon 800). So my question is, do I stay content with .419 groups or do I try and push passed to the next node? I know speed is not the end-all, but this seems pretty dang low…

…Burn more powder or just be happy?

Thanks.

TAC

2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

can't be a lot of help, and don't mean to crash your post, but I live in Stayton, and have been looking for people to shoot long range with.
    maybe we should get togather sometime? let me know what ya think, jon

3. tylercleary

tylercleary Well-Known Member

Jon, you must have your private messages turned off...

It's always nice to meet fellow enthusiasts, PM me with your contact info.

Tyler

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I'd say you're between a rock and a hard place.

With that kind of accuracy hitting the 'spot' you're shooting at would be a great confidence builder. The load would put down anything you shot but maybe the taller animals would take a bit longer to hit the ground....

I'm figuring you'll be sneaking up on the next node. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Either way you'll bring home the meat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Tac,

You have a lot of room to go up with that bullet powder combo.
    For example , 74.6 gr H1000
    220 smk
    2774 fps
    1" @ 300 yds

78.8 grs H 1000
    210 Wildcat
    2963 fps
    .3 @ 100 yds

200 gr smk
    76.6 grs H 1000
    2970 fps
    .750 @ 300 yds
    All were 3 shot groups , Oehler 35p

I have found those low velocity accurate node in all of the calibers I have reloaded for. Usually a couple hundred fps later you hit another accurate node . A lot of times you will find another node at or slightly above max pressure but that is too hard on brass and a bit unsafe as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif All the above listed loads is the node just below the max node .

Remember these loads were in my rifle and yours may not be able to go there .At any rate good shooting/ hunting ,
    Jim B.

P.S. the private message feature here is usually turned off

6. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

Keep going!
    As jimm mentioned, somewhere north of 72gr, there will very likley be another great node.