300 whisper

timmyatnop

I realize this is long range website ,but wanted to know if anybody has any experience with a 300 whisper in an ar rifle ,kinda been thinking I need on for night varmit hunting.but wanted to see if anybody had any experience with one.

I have made quite a few 300/221 fireball barrels in ar's, savages, remingtons, and a winchester. The ar rifles can be tricky if the person doesn't have experience with them.10 1/2" is about perfect but you need a pistol or sbr for that, 16" is best if you want a rifle and of course get it threaded for a can.

I have a Win M70 stealth w/ suppressor from JD aka SSK in the 338 whisper and is awesome on varmints. JD is great to work with also.
robster

If you go with the AR route, I prefer the pistol length gas system with an adjustable block. The whisper is capable of a WIDE range of bullet selection and speeds so one fixed gas port size is just not the best way to go. Make sure you get an 8 twist barrel if your going to shoot the heavy bullets subsonic. If you are going SBR you can get a long blank and make one 16" and one 10" out of the same blank.

Dillon makes a trimmer motor that mounts on top of a die with a vacuum attachment to pull all the shavings away. It takes about 5 seconds to turn a 223 case into a whisper case thats ready to load.

They are really fun to shoot even if your not going the suppressed route.

Just saw this thread.... I got my AR barrel from Model 1 sales and was much less expensive. On the other hand, you get what toy pay for too. I bought it for the quiet dispatch of pests four and two legged (this world has gone crazy) as well as the occasional supersonic load for deer. OH? Did I mention it's very competitive at the local carbine matches too? EOTech with a Magnifier

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.