300 whisper

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by timmyatnop, Nov 4, 2010.

1. timmyatnop

timmyatnop Well-Known Member

I realize this is long range website ,but wanted to know if anybody has any experience with a 300 whisper in an ar rifle ,kinda been thinking I need on for night varmit hunting.but wanted to see if anybody had any experience with one.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about it alot. Did you check out SSK industries or do a search at M4Carbine.net?

3. timmyatnop

Looked at ssk on the net gona call them tomorrow and talk,I think one would be so awsome with a d740 from tactial night vision

4. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

I have made quite a few 300/221 fireball barrels in ar's, savages, remingtons, and a winchester. The ar rifles can be tricky if the person doesn't have experience with them.10 1/2" is about perfect but you need a pistol or sbr for that, 16" is best if you want a rifle and of course get it threaded for a can.

5. timmyatnop

1100 $ from ssk ,hum mabey I should get in in a bolt action instead ,wonder if there more money or less ?

6. ROBSTER

ROBSTER Well-Known Member

I have a Win M70 stealth w/ suppressor from JD aka SSK in the 338 whisper and is awesome on varmints. JD is great to work with also.
    robster

7. flyin lizard

flyin lizard Well-Known Member

FYI,,,,I had some work done at SSK years ago and J.D. was a great guy to deal with and the work was top notch..

8. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

If you go with the AR route, I prefer the pistol length gas system with an adjustable block. The whisper is capable of a WIDE range of bullet selection and speeds so one fixed gas port size is just not the best way to go. Make sure you get an 8 twist barrel if your going to shoot the heavy bullets subsonic. If you are going SBR you can get a long blank and make one 16" and one 10" out of the same blank.

Dillon makes a trimmer motor that mounts on top of a die with a vacuum attachment to pull all the shavings away. It takes about 5 seconds to turn a 223 case into a whisper case thats ready to load.

They are really fun to shoot even if your not going the suppressed route.

9. timmyatnop

Think I will call ssk tomorrow and get one headed my way . Thanks for the input everyone.

10. tangodown

tangodown Active Member

Just saw this thread.... I got my AR barrel from Model 1 sales and was much less expensive. On the other hand, you get what toy pay for too. I bought it for the quiet dispatch of pests four and two legged (this world has gone crazy) as well as the occasional supersonic load for deer. OH? Did I mention it's very competitive at the local carbine matches too? EOTech with a Magnifier