300 whisper killing power?

huntokanogan

I have a friend that was asking me about the 300 whisper round the other day and I couln't answer his question.
What he wanted to know was how much killing power could he get out of the sub-sonic whisper?
I assume it would be enough to kill a coyote (that's what I told him anyway).
But he wanted to know if it has enough power to kill deer. I told him I was sure it's not recomended for deer, but didn't know for sure what kind of power he could get out of it.
How about it? I assume it would kill a deer with a head shot, but how about a shot to the vitals?
Just curious. He has ordered an AR-15 upper in the caliber which he plans on putting a silencer on. If nothing else, it should be a fun paper and rockchuck shooter.

the problem with killing deer with subsonic bullets(i've killed 3 with a subsonic 220gr smk from a whisper) is not the speed it's the bullet selection.

the smk's are like shooting them with field points. i shot all 3 in the vitals, and had 1 go straight down, because i got a fair amount of bone, the other 2 went a little ways, but were recovered.

there are not any great bullets for shooting deer with the subsonic whisper. guys have been trying for a long time. you can do it, but make a good shot, and try and hit some bone.

if you are doing close in deer work a suppressed .44 with a good hollow point would work a lot better.

good luck

I believe JD Jones has done some testing with the 300 Whisper and using 240 Sierra bullets at subsonic velocities. His testing has shown good killing power. Apparently the long 240 grain bullet tumbles on impact with animals.

Maybe shorter bullets don't exhibit this tendency at subsonic velocities.

I have a friend that was asking me about the 300 whisper round the other day and I couln't answer his question.
What he wanted to know was how much killing power could he get out of the sub-sonic whisper?
I assume it would be enough to kill a coyote (that's what I told him anyway).
But he wanted to know if it has enough power to kill deer. I told him I was sure it's not recomended for deer, but didn't know for sure what kind of power he could get out of it.
How about it? I assume it would kill a deer with a head shot, but how about a shot to the vitals?
Just curious. He has ordered an AR-15 upper in the caliber which he plans on putting a silencer on. If nothing else, it should be a fun paper and rockchuck shooter.

huntokanogan: I wouldn't invest in this Firearm unless your planning on being in a ' Movie in Big Sky, Montana.'

Put it this way, after 300+ Yards, it's dropping at the rate of 18" per 100 yards and the inertia from the 2400 FPS will be leaving the bullet at the rate of about 300 fps per 100 yards. You would be 'fair game' for a Sniper if he set up on you at 600-800 yards. AS for a hunting rifle it's just for show and tell. Try going with a 220 Swift, 22-250 or 257 Weatherby Mag 'for' Small Game (lol). If you choose to go with bigger game and your not an accomplished shooter. You 'may' wish to change your caliber. As for me, I'll take the 257 Weatherby on anything in the lower 48 States. If I 'was' inclined to grab for a Sniping Event. on 'large game', I'd go with the 30/06 and a 165 Spitzer Nozzler Partion with IMR 4064 sited in at 60" High at 500 Yards. With 'that' Caliber I would have a 1000 Yards Weapon.
Keith Grant
Truth About The CIA | Where You Get to Tell ' Your Story' About How The CIA Effected Your LifeTruth About The CIA | Where You Get to Tell ' Your Story' About How The CIA Effected Your Life
cc: Mrs. Kelsi Grant, Grant Kids, San Diego County SWAT, Kelsi's Attorney

With the 220 grain SMK it would be good within a 100 yards for game as far as velocity and energy figures. The issue which has been stated before is the bullet performance. The SMK sucks with deer. They are too unpredictable and animals will run if they don't hit bone and "splatter." Not to mention 300 yards you would have already dropped 100 inches! The 125 offerings have similar ballistics to the 30-30 win. At 2,250 FPS and 1,300 Ft/Lbs of energy will get you out to 300 yards of solid performance on deer sized game.

Me either....

What's up with the crazy dude posting about how the CIA affected his life? BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow, nutjobs everywhere...

Hey Norm Weed !

Long time no hear from !

Hey as for the Deepe's They Shoot Like there from Alabama ! I took them hunting and they couldn't hit the Broadside of the Mountain - Let alone the Deer I set them up on at '300 yards'.

As for you - I"m the Fxxxing Guy Who Saw You hand your Secretary Trey Vaughn's Business Plan for the Georgia Territory to take Yokogawa away from the Rep in Alabama at that time.

Oh, and by the way: What the Fxxx (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot) were you doing in Spokane, Washington 'exactly' when I arrived there when I was 'ran' out of Bozeman, Montana ? When I 'walked into' the Union Gospel Mission on the 2nd night. And THEN - I see the Deppe's arrive the next day ?

Let me know W.T.F. that was all about - you ain't no friend Norman Weed

How About when You Followed me to Seattle, Washington and 'was' at the Bus Station 'when' I got out of the Bus in Your Disco Pants - Staring at Me ?

What was 'THAT ALL ABOUT' ?

Yep - I figured you out and you came after me

And guess what ? I was and am working with the FBI & CIA on the War on Terror.

Make Sure You Tell Them: Gallatin Sent You, they'll know who your talking about I can assure you.

Make no mistake - I"ve Got the Shooting Stuff 'dialed in'

Come see me some time, I'll take you hunting

257 Weatherby, 270 Styer, 30/06 Ruger-Be, 44 S&W, 45 Colt

Tell Larry I said Hi

See Ya Norman Weed

Keith Grant

TRUTHABOUTTHECIA.ORG

CC: Mrs. Kelsi Grant, Grant Kids, Jacob Tate, 2/9 Marines, Kelsi's Attorney

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.