300 Weatherby MAG

Yotebuster

SO I just picked up a Vanguard SUB MOA in 300, Weatherby mag. What do you guys think on loading some 168 gr Berger VLD's in the gun for ELk/DEER. I shoot them out of my 308 and thought if they shot good it would be nice to have the same bullet for both guns. Whats your thoughts on using this combo on ELK. Any favorite loads for the 300 would be great as well, I have some
IMR 7828, IMR 4350 and getting some Ramshot Magnum today. Heavier bullet might be a better choice for elk with the gun, but I have some 168VLD's.

Thanks Dan

if it was me I would go with a 210VLD.these things will give you the energy that you want/need to put an Elk down nicely.the 168 will still do a great job on deer even out to 500 yards.it that I just like to see a good heavy bullet with alot of energy shot out past 400 to take of the kill on anything bigger than a deer.you wouldn't want to see it walk away would ya?

I would give them a try, I used to shoot 168 TSX for elk and I pulled the rug on one just under 500yrds with it. The 210 Bergers suck on deer so far but we haven't got one over 300yrd with them. We are trying out the 185 Bergers now, I think they will be more consistant on game than the 210's, some get a long with the 210 but we didn't. Make sure to try loading them to box mag lenght, they barely stick out of the case but shoot dang good.
I need a brake on a 300WBY with the 210's if you humping them, I found it just brutal!!

I've had great experiences with the 210 VLD myself, very happy with performance.

Bigngreen, the 168 TSX and Berger have nothing besides caliber and bullet weight in common. Therefore killing an elk with a TSX isn't really a reason to say a Berger will/won't work.

A 300 wby with slow powders will definetely deliver more energy at long range with a 210. I shoot them from my 300 ackley mag (300 wby imp) and 300 win mag and have been very pleased with the results.

I've had great experiences with the 210 VLD myself, very happy with performance.

Bigngreen, the 168 TSX and Berger have nothing besides caliber and bullet weight in common. Therefore killing an elk with a TSX isn't really a reason to say a Berger will/won't work.

A 300 wby with slow powders will definetely deliver more energy at long range with a 210. I shoot them from my 300 ackley mag (300 wby imp) and 300 win mag and have been very pleased with the results.

I would agree that the TSX and Berger only have those two things in common, what I was saying is the 168 gr bullet will wack elk also and to try the 168 Berger, I vastly preffer the Berger over the TSX. The last elk I killed was with a 140gr .277 Berger and it smoked her and is all I'm loading this year.

I will differ on the 210 Berger thought, on deer it delivered ZERO energy as they did not open unless a heavy bone was struck on the second shot, then they set of. We did not get them on elk but I would think the mass of an elk will get them to open fine. I also think they may do good out at longer ranges, we worked our way out and quite using them because they failed so bad under 300yrds. Hopefully the 185's will function better terminally on deer over a broader range. If I was just wackn elk, ya the 210 would be my go to but where I hunt when I set up there will be deer and elk and I don't dig packn a deer load and an elk load, shots will range from point blank to as far as you can range so I'm looking for the all around best Berger bullet, the 210 hasn't been it. Just my experience :D

Alright sounds good, that has also been my experience, the deer I have shot with the Berger was a mere 170yrds away. The bullet hit a rib on the way in (heavily quartering away from me) and exploded in the chest cavity, deer ran 10yards looked around with a "*** did I get hit by a train?" look then I shot again, shattering front right shoulder joint sending sharpnel through the lungs and spine, dead deer. The guide said he has never before seen such internal damage on a deer.

They worked for me, I will report my findings on what happens if it doesn't hit bone when that happens for me.

Oliver

Well, I loaded up some 168's with IMR 4350 Just a few to try, Not sure how much bullet Jump, But a lot it seems, I seated them in Just far enough to fit into the magazine, The long design of the Bergers sure makes you seat them deep. Could not get my hands on any Ramshot Magnum today, They were out.

I shoot the 168 VLD out of my 300 WTBY and they have perform better than any other bullet I have ever shot a deer with. I don't know how they can create a blood trail like the do. The ranges have been 300-500. I have shot better groups when I have went to a shorter lenght.

i also own a vaguard sub moa in 300wby. i shoot a 168gr barnes tipped tsx with awesome results. i use 78gr IMR4350 and seat the bullet to 3.66 thats about maxed on my mag length for it to cycle properly. I live in CA in a lead free zone which is why i started with the barnes but this was the first powder and the first bullet i choose and out of the box just hand loading i shoot .392 average groups so im not changing anything. i killed a nice buck in WY last year heart shot went about 20yrds and blew that thing up. this is just my O/P but i theres my load. As i said befor, i have a swarovki scope and a bone stock sub moa 300wby shooting consistant with that load so give it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.