300 Weatherby loading tips.

It will get better responses if you open a new thread.
Have a good day, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I am shooting older Sako AV in 300 Wby. Saw where IMR 7828 max. load was 84.5 with 180 gr. bullet in Nosler load data. I loaded group of 3 each starting at 82. and going up to max of 84.5. When i shot 83.+ at range, pressures were so high i couldnt open bolt, didnt even shoot 84. and 84.5 loads. Loaded 178 gr ELDX, oal of 3.540. Anyone know? Thanks
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! You might want to consider posting a new thread instead of reviving this 7-year-old thread to get more visibility/responses. Anyway, my Hornady 10th ed shows 82.1 of IMR 7828 on the red zone already. So you started hot already; back it off on the safe zone. Good luck!

Ed

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I am shooting older Sako AV in 300 Wby. Saw where IMR 7828 max. load was 84.5 with 180 gr. bullet in Nosler load data. I loaded group of 3 each starting at 82. and going up to max of 84.5. When i shot 83.+ at range, pressures were so high i couldnt open bolt, didnt even shoot 84. and 84.5 loads. Loaded 178 gr ELDX, oal of 3.540. Anyone know? Thanks
Did you leave the round in a hot chamber for a bit before shooting it? I ran 85grn with the 165sgk's didn't use the 180s much but did shoot the 200 hot cor's from Speer with 7828 and Rl25. KInd of a brick but they were the best shooting bullet in my last 300 bee.

Did you leave the round in a hot chamber for a bit before shooting it? I ran 85grn with the 165sgk's didn't use the 180s much but did shoot the 200 hot cor's from Speer with 7828 and Rl25. KInd of a brick but they were the best shooting bullet in my last 300 bee.
No did not, i was careful not to cook rounds.

Bang your head giphy.gif

In a hunting rifle, just change bullets and manufacturers...no need to go through all the delay and expense in a hunting off the shelf ELK rifle, the kill zone is nearly a beachball in size and any well constructed bullet will take care of business...