300 wby work???

elkspert

I have a 300 wby mrk v (southgate) with a 24" barrel,topped with a leupold VXIII 4.5x14x50 LR. (I will add turrets later). I reload 180 gr nosler partitions and know the gun well and am confident out to 400 yrds. I am wanting a 400-800 yrd ++ gun for elk and mulies. What do i need to do to get that out of my gun?(longer barrel,gunsmith,stock?). Or would i be better off getting something made. I do pack my gun so I would like to keep the weight between 10-13 lbs. Any info would be of great help.

If your gun will shoot 6-8" groups at 800 yds, then you've got all you need right now. All the gun needs is to be proven capable of keeping the bullets in the vital zone of the game at 800 yds. So I'd take it out and see what it will do for you. If it won't do that, then you'll need to either work on that gun or find another that will shoot that well @ 800 yds.

I agree,and I have not grouped it at 6-800 yrds,but being stock with that 24" barrel is it capable of a 4-6 inch group at that kind of range? I will try it though.

Your shorter barrel will be stiffer than a longer barrel of the same contour, and some claim, slightly more accurate than a longer barrel. The only thing you're sacrificing with a 24" barrel versus a longer barrel is some muzzle velocity.

The reason guys are installing longer barrels on their rifles is to increase their muzzle velocity, not to enhance accuracy. Some of the large powder capacity cartridges being used for long range hunting provide higher velocity by utilizing the longer barrels. Your 300 Weatherby Mag could also likely benefit from a 26" barrel compared to your 24" barrel, but out to 800 yds, you'll still have more than enough retained velocity to ensure bullet expansion, and enough retained energy (if you select a good long range bullet), in order to reliably kill elk and mule deer at that distance.

Now all you need to do is confirm you can keep your bullet impacts at 800 yds within the vital zone of the game animal you're shooting at. If you can do that with your rifle, then all you need to do is start hunting!

Well i'll see what it does for a group at those ranges. Right now I'm shooting 85 grns of h4831 fed 215 match with a 180 grn nosler partition, factory oal. How does that bullet perform at that range or is there one that may work better? Thanks for your info.

The 300 Wby is just a small step over the 300 win mag but with your 24" barrel I'd call them **** close and the 300 win is an easy 800yd deer gun , maybe pushing it for elk on the tuff shots but broad side no problem.

I would try some 180gr Accubonds , they have alot better BC thanthe partition and may expand a bit better at entended ranges yet be tough enough for elk at 200yds.

Like it was said before shoot it at 800 and see how it groups.

You'll want to use a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient (BC) for shooting & hunting at 800 yard. High BC bullets are heavier weight bullets that are very streamline shaped. They retain their velocity better than lower BC bullets. BC is a way of rating the efficiency with which a bullet travels through the air. Higher BC bullets retain their velocity better than lower BC bullets do.

Nosler sells a 200 grain Accubond that has a pretty good BC (I think its BC is listed as 0.588). That would be a great bullet to use. I think their 180 grain Accubond would still have a higher BC than their 180 partition.

Berger sells VLD bullets in 190 and 210 grain weights. I shoot Nosler 200 gr ABs and Berger 210 VLDs in my 300 Winchester Magnum for long range hunting bullets.

Find a high BC bullet that shoots well out of your rifle, and then you should be ready to start practicing and hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.