300 wby converion to 338 edge

rbihunter

Is it possible to convert a 300 wby to a 338 edge and would it be worth it? I've heard the mark v action is stronger than the rem 700 but I'm new to custom rifles and not sure if i'm out of my mind for even considering this. What I'm looking for is a rifle able to shoot long range accurately. My weatherby will reach out there I've just never been happy with the accuracy.

You could re-pipe to a 338-300Wby if you wanted to play with your current brass......
The Edge is based off of the 300 RUM wich has a 404 parent case. It's not belted.
But as far as re-barreling to an Edge, I don't see any reason why a smith couldn't do it. You may need to add an extended box mag to get the length for the big pills tho.

I've wondered if there would be any similarity to the Edge performance with the 338-300Wby actually.
There's a greater difference in Wby's exterior case measurements than there is between the 300RUM, & the 338RUM, but I dunno if Shawn moved the shoulder forward or not on the Edge. I also don't know if he blew any taper out (if there was any taper to blow out...?)
Interesting idea tho. I like where your goin with it, cause I've always been curious myself.

The weatherby is 300 H&H parent. If you go to 338 on that case you have a 340 weatherby, which is nice , but about 17 gr. less h20 cap. than edge

I was wondering if just the action would work for the rem 338 edge case if it was long enough for the 300 gr bullets and if it would hold up in the long run and how accurate it would be?

338-378? Dont know if it will fit in the action, but would stick with the wby name. Have one coming in will be shooting it friday/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts