.300 Varminter

BT, the 300 Varminter was possibly the most talked about cartridge on this site. i've referred to it as "folk lure legend" but not much is really known about it. did Richard Franklin build your gun?

Not this thread in particular, but for so much controversy on this rifle/cartridge I would have expected a lot more comments as well since there is some on-paper proof now... Even if it was negative comments. Lol :):D

Wal9nMt

As for all of the mixed opinions, i can tell you that in MY rifle, with 66.5 grains of Varget I get a sticky bolt. This charge gives me 3879 average velocity.

I backed the load down and settled with 66 grains, this gives me (imo) great accuracy and 3780 velocity. I haven't tried any other powder or bullets, but am open to suggestions.

I have lurked around this forum for quite some time now and have read all of the controversy about this topic, I was going for a 4000 fps 125 gr bullet but honestly I don't see it happening with my particular rifle.

If you had posted MVs at 4100fps, you'd have generated more member excitement. That's the primary reason the wildcat Varminter Thread got so much interest and mileage.

I can't find a wildcat Post more recent than May, 2008. Not sure what became of his 300 Varminter, or the MVs it actually achieved. Maybe it was a single shot rifle... literally.

If you had posted MVs at 4100fps, you'd have generated more member excitement. That's the primary reason the wildcat Varminter Thread got so much interest and mileage.

I can't find a wildcat Post more recent than May, 2008. Not sure what became of his 300 Varminter, or the MVs it actually achieved. Maybe it was a single shot rifle... literally.
Oh I see, ya I would doubt one could get 4100 with 125grn bullets, I think that would be a stretch IMO. 110 grn, maybe a little closer but I would definatly want it in a top-of- the-line, super heavy action. I was surprised and a little nervous at the same time when I saw 3900 on the chrono but I didn't see any pressure signs. I still backed off... Are there any other wildcats that do even 3800 with a 125 grn bullet?

I tried to post pics but I still don't know if they went through.... Not very good on an iPad.....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.