300 ultra mag

ogallala_1

Buddy just bought a 300 ultra sfvII. Looking for your best load in the 165 - 180 grain bullet range. Also wondering what you would do to the cartridge to make it better if anything. For example like ackley improve it or such.

Thanks John

What is yor buddy going to be using the rifle for primarily? I have a Sendero SFII 300 Ultra, my favorite load is 210 gr Berger over 87grs H1000. Two of my buddies also have the same rifles one of them uses he same load the other uses 91 grs H1000.

Dont know if I would AI the cartidge to improve it. I think most would turn it into an Edge or run it as is.

I have found with the 300 Ultra that there is not too much of a difference in the ballistics of different bullets out to about 500 yds "relatively speaking" After 500 yds the heavier bullets really start to shine carrying velocity and energy considerably better. When I was doing my research before reloading the 300 Ultra everything seemed to point me in the direction of heavier bullets, that is the way that I would point your friend, but thats just my 2 bits. Try the search function on the forum, you will find a ton of info on reloading for the 300 Ultra. I guess that if he is only going o be shooting deer and antelope out to 500 yds a 180, or 185 gr bullet would be lots... but then again trajectory wise there is not much difference between the 180gr, and the 190gr but you get more hitting power... and then again there is not much difference in trajectory between the 190gr and the 210gr... Also I am a fan of Berger bullets they perform very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.