300 ultra mag loads

longdeer

I have been offered to buy a sendaro in this round but buds say dont buy you won't want to shoot much and I do like to shoot at range alot. Is there a load that I can shoot for target shooting but still get the long range power. Thanks
Bill

The 300RUM has a fair bit of recoil and a reasonably short throat life for just punching paper. It is a cartridge better suited for field use. IMO anyway. A quality brake would take care of the recoil but the RUM eats up gunpowder faster than my 4x4 sucks up gas.

A .308 win would be a much better choice. If you want more speed than the .308, the 300 win would be a good choice.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the heads up on this cal. I have been thinking about the 300 win mag. I had one years ago but never got to know it and it was sold . What would you think of the savage 112 varmint gun in 300 mag it is heavy and has 26 inch tube. My local gun shop has one for 650.00 new.
Thanks Bill

Many shooters rave about the out-of-box accuracy of the Savage rifle. There are a few smiths that specialize in customizing Savages if you want to go that route down the road.

Personally, I prefer the Remingtons because EVERYONE works on them and there are tons of bells & whistles available for their rifles. Lots of do-it-yourself stuff too.

Good luck

I have to agree here, I had a 300 RUM for 2 years because thats all the barrel lasted me. I shot it around 1000-1200 rounds before accuracy was really noticably falling off past 500 yards. Inside 500, it was still deadly. However, for as much as I like to practice with my rifles, the 300 RUM is just a powder burning, barrel burning son of a gun. I downsized to a 7mm RM and am just as happy. Of course it doesn't have the raw power, but you dont always need that much power...I still personally like the good old 300 Win Mag. Cant go wrong with that one. It will give at least double the barrel life of a 300 RUM, w/out sacrificing a whole lot in the ballistics department.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts