300 ultra mag for whitetail deer, details please

williamsc31

I own a 300 ultra mag and was wondering what would be the best bullets for whitetail deer and hogs. I live in west Texas and will not be shooting any farther than 150 yards. Any details or advice please.

I shoot a 300 Jarrett for my primary deer rifle. Best performance and accuracy for me in a hunting bullet is the 168 Nosler Combined Technology (CT). I've had some close shots over the years as in under 100 yards and have had no problem with the expansion even though they are leaving the muzzle at well over 3400.

300 rum is kind of over kill for texas deer and 150yds and under. I would be using a 223-243. I would just what ever your gun liked and shoot them with that. if they are does I would be doing head shoots.

My 300 RUM likes Berger 168VLD and 210 VLD's with retumbo powder
Puts them one on top of each other at 100 yds

What bullets are better the berger or barnes?

Shooting at the short distances, 150 or less, that you're shooting with the velocity that your 300 develops you might want to carefully test both of those manufacturers for expansion. Berger makes some great long range bullets, but I've not been satisfied with the performance on the occasional close range shots. On hogs up close, I wouldn't use either one. JMHO and experience.

I would go with some barns bullets tsx for that round for that range I think that will fit your needs the best because that bullet will not come apart like the others. You will not need a super high b.c. bullet just something that will stay together.

I have killed quite a few with accubonds at closer ranges out of .300RUM. I don't think a single one of them took more than a step and I was very pleased with performance.

I second the Accubonds. Have shot the TSX and Accubonds out of my 7STW. Found that at ranges under 200 if I didn't hit hard bone I never got any expansion out of the Barnes TXS. I am stating to develop a load with 168 VLD, but using them for primarily longer ranges.

I second the Accubonds. Have shot the TSX and Accubonds out of my 7STW. Found that at ranges under 200 if I didn't hit hard bone I never got any expansion out of the Barnes TXS. I am stating to develop a load with 168 VLD, but using them for primarily longer ranges.

So are you saying after 200 yards they open up I dont think there is a hunting bullet out there that dose nont open at 3000+fps. but there are some that blow up at 3000+. I am not saying AB will blow up but for this gun at that range I would go with tsx after 150 i would go with AB.

What I am saying is in my 7stw running TSX's at 3300 fps, I got pencil size exit wounds at close range. Not saying they are bad, but in my opinion on deer size game, there are better options out there. I have killed several large bucks with them, but noticed minimal wound canals and hardly any exit expansion. I lost my biggest buck this year, after a perfectly placed shot, dropped him in his tracks just to have him jump back up and run into a thick jungle of briars. When the blood trail ran out 30 feet from where he dropped, we were SOL. Granted I've never shot them in my 300 mag, which might do better, I just found that the accubonds leave a much larger exit wound, which I like if I have to track an animal.

What bullets are better the berger or barnes?

they are totally different bullet. the barnes will shoot completely through bull elk. they have a reput ation for accuracy . the bergers a re very accurate but "soft" . my 168 did not pass through a 350 pound rocky mtn bighorn ram.. they are very very accurate. to your original post. i would use a 168 cbt.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts