300 Tomahawk

I think you'll find that obtaining 3300 with the 200g bullets will require some extensive load development. You may reach that but I would suspect that 3150 would be about max, possibly 3200 with moderate loads.
In the 34 inch barrel switching from H1000 to H50BMG, 100 grains each dropped our fps by 200.
I think retumbo may net you the 3300 but your gonna have to be very careful reaching the 3300.
Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.
Dave

If you want 3300 from 200AB's you might still consider the 300 Tommy with a 30-32" barrel. I think dies run ~$100 from Ray Romain. I talked to him awhile back about this and can't remember for sure. Give him a call at 814-265-1948. Keep in mind that he told me that he won't make a Tommy without at least a 30" barrel and brake installed. So about 32" min. overall barrel length. Otherwise, he says, you're just burning extra powder with a shorter length and he says that you need the brake to shoot it accurately. I couldn't convince him to do a 28-30" barrel with out brake. But call Ray and get the price on the dies. It might not be as bad as you think and having a one-off wildcat is kinda cool anyway, I think. Ray told me that you can expect about an extra 100fps from the Tommy over a similarly barreled 300RUM-no more. I don't recall him mentioning the bullet weight he had in mind when he stated that number.

I just think if you're going to all that trouble anyway and only have to spend another $100 or so extra for dies, have Ray put a 30" braked barrel, do the Tommy and be done with it. You'd have a cannon. I'm doing my own RUM Imp. with straight wall case and .270 neck on a 40 degree shoulder and .539 at the shoulder called the 300RUMBO. It's gonna be a barrel burner and I'm really hoping the new Hodgdon powder, US869, will give me the velocity I want and help with barrel erosion. The Tommy has a .286 neck 35 degree shoulder and is not quite as fat as my design at the shoulder, if I recall correctly. I'm looking at $400 for custom die reamer, custom Redding bushing FL die and seater. Thought I might get by without the custom seater and could use the 300RUM seater but Pat Ryan at Redding says the dimensions of the my 300RUMBO won't allow it. Arrggh...more money...

Have fun.

How about a 7mm STW. I am getting 2895fps with the 200 WC with no signs of pressure. I am using 79gr or Retumbo and this is out of a Rem Sendero with a 26inch barrel. I have shot 175 Sierra's out of this rifle as well with 76gr of R-22 and muzzle velocity of 3094fps. Who ever it was with a 34inch barrel you should have been able to drive berger 180's almost at 3300fps. When I rebarrel with my 28inch Broughton I should be able to push the 200 WC at 3000fps or a little more. If you want a 30 cal what is wrong with a plain old 300 win? With 200, 220, or 240gr bullets you should be able to shoot at the mile mark with a lot less powder and better barrel life.

I still haven't completely ruled out the good old 300 Win Mag, just yet. If I got a 26" I should be able to reach 2900fps with a 220g bullet. While burning 20g less powder. I can get superior brass for it also. I am just worried that the .300 WM wont have the "umph" left at an elk or bear at 1000 yards. Accuracy would not be a problem, I dont think anyways. There is just so many choices and combinations. Like I said, a different day brings different thoughts.

I was thinking about the 338-378 Weatherby for some reason. Is there any advantage over the 338 RUM? I dont see to much about the big 338 Weatherby. Seems it would be a decent LR set up. Any thoughts?

Have you thought about a 30-338 laupa imp. I know it will push the 200 AB past 3300 with no pressure. I shoot 150 hornady interbonds out of mine at 3800 FPS with no problems. 30 inch tube Gotta love laupa brass

[ QUOTE ]
Have you thought about a 30-338 laupa imp. I know it will push the 200 AB past 3300 with no pressure. I shoot 150 hornady interbonds out of mine at 3800 FPS with no problems. 30 inch tube Gotta love laupa brass

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

What twist are you using?

Frank D

A 300 win will have enough to kill an Elk at 1000 yards probably even more. DC says a 7mm mag with the right bullets will kill a bull elk past 1000 yards. So I would say with 200gr bullets or bigger you should be able to smoke one easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.