300 STW ? anybody done or use one?

The 300 lapua improved has a little over the 300 Rum but you are going to be looking at finding a action to handle the larger boltface, going to have to find or have some dies made, all of the pains that go with any wildcat and all for little gain. That said I have built a couple of these and love them. I am a lapua brass fan. My personal 300Lapua AI is not even braked and is manageable in a 12ish pound rifle. I built it because it was the action I had on hand at the same time I happened to have a fast twist 30 cal blank and a reamer. I have not been disappointed with it. If I were you I would just go with the RUM and enjoy, lots less hassle trying to feed the thing leads to more time to shoot.

The 300 lapua improved has a little over the 300 Rum but you are going to be looking at finding a action to handle the larger boltface, going to have to find or have some dies made, all of the pains that go with any wildcat and all for little gain. That said I have built a couple of these and love them. I am a lapua brass fan. My personal 300Lapua AI is not even braked and is manageable in a 12ish pound rifle. I built it because it was the action I had on hand at the same time I happened to have a fast twist 30 cal blank and a reamer. I have not been disappointed with it. If I were you I would just go with the RUM and enjoy, lots less hassle trying to feed the thing leads to more time to shoot.

Oh I completely agree. I was under the impression that if I got a new bolt, such as the one remington offers for their lapua or one by PT&G as these bolts are redesigned to handle the case and not simply a modified bolt face , that the action is fine and the weakness comes from opening the boltface because of the extractor grove or something to that effect. Either way the 300 RUM is much more practical I assume, especially considering the fact that I was hoping to go with a 26" barrel but it looks like to get close to my goal of 3000 fps with the 230 bergers I will need a 28" barrel but Im not going more than that. The RUM is much more practical and I believe is the way I will go, but its hard to stop this love affair with the lapua case and brass ;)

i have built 25 or 30, have shot one for years, 200 gr accubond in the 3000- 3100 range, typically .5 moa, still have a reamer, as well as 338 stw and 358 sta, at one time i bought 2000 rem 8 mag brass, still have 2 or 3 hundred,,,it does anything i need, doesnt kick as hard as a 300 rum and i think it feeds better,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.