300 SMK Terminal Performance - No Exit on a Speedgoat!

Rymart

Decided to go with the 300 SMK's as my go to hunting bullet this year. Bought 500 of them. They are shooting great. If anything, I'm having to force myself not to overcompensate for the wind as I do most of my practice shooting with a 308.

I decided to use the 338LM to fill my speedgoat tags, as a way to test bullet and equipment prior to the elk and deer hunts. My original concern with this bullet was over-penetration without opening up and transferring its energy. After filling my doe/fawn tag, this concern was alleivated (yes, apparently I am a baby killer...but they taste sooo much better than the full-sized ones).

DSC00022.jpg

OK, so this time it exited. By the way, the shot was taken at 654 yards, prone off of a sandbag, 10 mph crosswind from 3:00.

Then it was time to fill the buck tag. After dinking around trying to take the biggest buck I had seen all season (in my area) with my bow, rather than with the rifle, and spooking it into the next county, then spending 4 hours unsucessfully trying to get back on it, I finally decided to settle for this one:

0921081807.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

I took the shot at 490 yards off of my Stoney Point Tripods Sticks. There was about a 10 mph quartering wind. He was quartering towards me at a little more than 45 degrees. When I hit him, he went down hard and was DRT. This is how he went down:

DSC00027.jpg

This was the entrance wound:

DSC00034.jpg

But I couldn't find an exit wound, even after skinning him. I noticed that his back leg was broken near the hip and figured that was where the bullet ended up. Later when cutting him up, I found the jacket just past the broken leg bone, completely shed of the lead core (sorry no pics). I also found a few chunks of lead scattered around in the hind quarter meat. The really strange thing was that the meat in the hind quarters, even around the broken leg/hip, was not at all blood shot or damaged.

Anyway, I don't know how this bullet is going to perform on a large elk, if it doesn't exit from a measly speedgoat. I mean, I guess 'dead is dead' and the antelope was DRT. Should I be concerned? Also, FYI, the 300 gr SMK has a MV of 2700 fps, and is averaging 0.4 to 0.6 MOA accuracy.

We shot 2 anterless elk with the 300SMK last year. One did not exit (large cow, hit behind shoulder), the other did (yearling, high shoulder). Both DRT.

BTW: Nice lopes!

AJ

I'm confident if you place that bullet where it counts, it'll do the job.
I've shot many Elk with 150 gr Sierra Game Kings from my old 30-06.
Those 300gr SMK will bust there ***!!

Great pics and story my friend.

Personally I would not worry too much. There are too many guys on the LRHF that are having tremendous success with the 300 smk , including myself. They are just the "ducks nuts " !!

DUH

It happens with all of them from time to time, even with bonded.

I had a no exit on a coyote a few years back with a mighty 200 grain Accubond out of a RUM. 50 yards running straight away texas heartshot. It made the whole critter quite soft and flexible......the taxidermist wasn't impressed, had to air his shop out for a day or two.

Still performed, in a very terminal manner. :)
Good shooting! Looks like it worked well.
HPA

I had a 225 grain Hornady stay in a doe antelope this year from 150 yards. That was from a .338 WM. Broke near shoulder and far hip. Found the bottom half of the bullet right where the hide stuffed it back in the ham. Unbelievably, the doe got back up and ran 20 yards with half of her leg bones shattered. Her innards were so badly exploded that her stomach contents were coming out of the entrance wound under her shoulder. I just quartered her and took the backstraps. I left the cruchy jelly shoulder in the field. From now on I'll hold out for the broadside shot.

Never thought I'd see the day where a .338 stayed in an antelope, but now I guess that makes two of us.

I had a no exit on a coyote a few years back with a mighty 200 grain Accubond out of a RUM. 50 yards running straight away texas heartshot. It made the whole critter quite soft and flexible......the taxidermist wasn't impressed, had to air his shop out for a day or two.

:D....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.