300 SAUM upper ordered from ASI

long450

I finally broke down and orderd an upper from ASI in 300 SAUM. It will be a 24" barrel 1x12 twist with a Maxi brake. The barrel will be fluted front and back and bead blasted. It will have a quad forend. I have wanted one for years and I have read all I could find (not much out there)about these uppers and rifles. I have the DPMS 300 LR with a Timney trigger. I like it but I wanted the longer barrel and brake.

I discuss with ASI the 7 SAUM and they said there were issues with pressure in that caliber. They also said 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. It will be a long range hunter.

The extra 4" of barrel should add about about 60 yards to the trajectory of a 20" DPMS LR-300 (or LR-30S). I have one of those and would have been happier with a longer (but not heavier) barrel. The more important limiation of the LR-300 is the magazine length which makes shooting heavy VLD bullets impractical. 190 SMK's have as high of BC as any bullets i've found practical to use from the magazine.

Does anyone know why DPMS discontinued the LR-300? Did they consider it dangerous or just lack of sales? I'm sure the 20" bull barrel didn't help it's sales. My LR-65CM shoots the same distance with less wind deflection and less recoil. Less energy too of course.

Last edited:
I do not think safety was an issue. I think the lack of sales was the issue. Cost of ammo , for the non-handloader would also be an issue. The increase in performance over the popular 308 and the 260 is only important to someone trying to hunt LR beyond say 500 yards. Paper shooting, a 308 can go 1000 yards easily. I think alot of people do not know the accuracy capability of a good AR. They are not typically going to out perform a custom bolt gun, but will keep rounds in the kill zone of most game animals. This should be a fun project!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.