300 SAUM Barrel Swap

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Texasstranger, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Texasstranger

Texasstranger New Member

I have a Remington 700 BDL 300 SAUM and I was wondering if it is possible to change barrels on this to a 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag or a 300 wsm?

2. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

I'm betting your 300 saum is on a short action, magnum bolt face.

So you're limited to wsm or saum or wssm cartridges. Any caliber.

It is super easy to rebarrel to 300 wsm.

Enjoy.

3. Texasstranger

Texasstranger New Member

How about 7 mm SAUM? I am just looking for a load that will be around for a while and I am worried abour 300 SAUM.

4. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

7 saum, yes.

I re barreled my 270 wsm to 7 saum. I'm very happy with the result.
    However there seems to be a shortage of saum brass right now. Things may improve later.

I think if I was to choose any of the short mags now
    I would choose 300 wsm. ( In fact I did. ) Lots of brass. shoots a wide range of bullet weights and styles. The barrel will last a long time--2000 or so. As accurate as any thing.

5. Texasstranger

Texasstranger New Member

Thank you for your help. Happy Shooting!

6. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

You are going to be limited to any of the SAUM, or WSM configurations. You can not go to a 300 win mag, due to case length. The LA 300 RUM, definitely not.
    The 300 WSM is a great option, as is any of the WSM bullets. I had one of those, in the rifle that you have, and it was incredibly accurate. I know what you mean about the brass.

7. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

You all are forgetting the 6.5 rem and 350 rem mags that are both SA belted rounds. A bit off the wall but I'd bet you can case form them from any of the other belteds in a pinch.