300 rum

Not that this answers your question REm but I think I do remeber hearing before that the AMAX bullet uses a VLD style nose profile, definantly reduces drag.

That 150gr accubond would be one high speed sucker!!! ANd it would offer more in the weight retention department. Thats the only prob I have personnal seen with the AMAX, they just open up almost too good. But then again that was with a lot lighter bullets, 178gr has a lot more weight behind it.

Steve

BigIron,
the 300RUM is my favorite deer smacker. My hunting style requires employing a bullet that will withstand high velocity impacts in the likely event of a close encounter, yet readily expand and largely hold together. Said bullet must also expand reliably at longer ranges. Hunting with a RUM introduces a new set of complications due to its velocity that can largely be overcome with a bonded bullet of 180 grns or more. The Swift Scirocco 180 works for me.
I have noticed sometimes deer don't react to being shot and I'm guessing it's the velocity. It's like they aren't even aware at times. This can leave you wondering at times if maybe you hit a twig or something and somehow missed. I haven't had this problem with the Scirocco, it makes deer sick very quickly even if they manage to stay on their feet.
95gr H1000 Rem 91/2M

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.