300 rum

Bigiron300RUM

Does anyone have a smokin load for a 300RUM 150 grain bullet for deer. I reloaded with 180's but have never tried anything lighter. Most shots are 150 to 400yards dont get to many chances past 400 to many dam trees

Hey all, new guy here. I have played with the 150's quite a bit.

Reloader 19 98.5 grains
Nosler Ballistic Tip
3750 FPS

DONT START THERE work up but man she just screams. Would pick a different bullet for hunting also like a Accubond. Havent hunted with it yet just killed paper.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, new guy here. I have played with the 150's quite a bit.

Reloader 19 98.5 grains
Nosler Ballistic Tip
3750 FPS

DONT START THERE work up but man she just screams. Would pick a different bullet for hunting also like a Accubond. Havent hunted with it yet just killed paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I bet the bt hits a deer that fast she would go poof. What's your OAL with that load

Or the opposites gonna happen, any shot under 200 yards and your gonna get serious lack of penetration and a big entrance hole. With a shoulder shot, they might even run off. 150g bt is not the best choice for deer hunting out of a 300 RUM, not even a 165g bt is a good choice. To light of bullets, and they are going to fast to do any real penetration. bt bullets are great if you work within there velocity limits. I would recomend a 180g btip, but I could be wrong. Let us know how it works out on that deer.

I am gonna second 25-06 man on this one, when I started this long range venture I was shooting a 300RUM with the 125gr ballistic tip. YOu wanna talk about some speed, that little sucker was topping out at 3960fps.

My buddy shot a buck with this load at 450yds and the bullet actually preformed pretty well with a decent exit wound. COnsistancy was a issue over time and the barrels wore out pretty quickly.

After a lot of arguing I finally saw the light with the help of some guys on this board and starting shooting the heavier bullets. For game hunting I would say go with the 180gr accubond, this bullet should provide reliable preformance over the widest area of shooting distances.

Take it from me, speed is pretty cool but in the long run a high BC heavy bullet pushed at a moderate rate will win, its just a fact.

If nothin else the heavier bullets hit harder at long range.

good luck
steve

Considering the range will be out to 400 yds, if it were me(actually my plan for next season) I would work up a smokin' load with the 178 amax. Plus this bullet would be good for much farther than that anyway. It will supposedly knock the **** out of a deer! Where I hunt allows for shots out to about 400. I've been shooting the matchking but I think I want to give the amax a try. All of this is of course assuming you're not to worried about meat damage!

The 178gr amax has BC of .495 which aint to bad. SHould put a hell of a thump on a whitetail. I have heard of some amax bullets coming apart if you push them too quick but I dont know if that would be a issue or not.

A couple of buddies of mine are using the 162gr amax in a 7stw and they are having good luck with it on whitetail and hogs

good luck
steve

[ QUOTE ]
The 178gr amax has BC of .495 which aint to bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I get .495 for a BC right on the money. What you dont know is that out of my 300 RUM I get it on the G7 curve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Forget "aint too bad" its freakishly flat.

Also I belive Nosler is now making a 150 ACCUBOND. Might be better for those close up shots at ultra high velocity.

He means that is with a G7 drag function, in other words the G1 BC would be significantly higher than .495. Most published bc's that bullet companies give out is based on a G1 drag which may not model the bullets actual flight path as accurately as other drag models. I don't know the physics behind it but the drag functions apply to different bullet shapes. Or a better way to put it is the different bullet shapes use different mathematical models.

I understand what he means about the drag function, I just thought maybe he had a number for the regular function to go off. If anyone knows the proper G functions for what bullets, I would be interersted in knowing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.