300 RUM vs. 7mm RUM in Sendero

Muddy, you won't get the vel's he's talking about in a 7rem without high pressures. I've had enough of them to know better. Strain gauges shut the 7rem guys up pretty well. You've seen some of the strain gauge graphs from my sendero 7stw; I could loaf it at 3400 fps with a 140; that'll blow brass in any 7rem I've ever seen. As to the powder charge (83.5) being hot in a stw, not if you are burning 50 bmg type powders, but that'll still be up there.

I agree, me too. I've had 7RM's for 12+ years now. He's probably blowing brass after 1 firing. I was hitting severe pressures and cracking brass in my STW just from seating 180's up on the lands...I can imagine 83.5gr of H50BMG.

I'm happy with my velocities and accuracy I'm getting with all my calibers. No need to risk it and waste brass.

Although I am thinking remarkably hard about having my STW chambered to 7mm STW Tejas, after talking with Brad Stair this afternoon. He's a really cool guy. Plus I just got a smokin deal on some Nosler 7mm STW Tejas brass earlier... Apparantly the little bit of extra work is well worth the added velocity. :D

As I stated earlier 69.5 Grains of H1000 in a 7mag broughton barrel 26" with Berger or Jlk bullet 180 grain will shoot 2995 to 3010. There are not high psi loads. My smith uses this load as his go to load on 90% of the 7mags that go out the door. He cannot have people in risk of danger nor does he. The load shoots great and does not blow brass after one firing. The STW I gave up on years ago because what you just stated in last post. You get around 3000 fps is right. And so do I and everyone else who runs a 7mag 26" barrel with 69.5 H1000 fed 215 primer. I have got as many as 7 firings on on piece of brass before the primer pockets get loose. You can gauge all you want but the saumi psi were low on the 7mags because of worries on the belted cases. There are 1000's of guys that run the psi and loads I have described with no trouble. Not really a dog in the fight here I have 7 mag and 7 stw and 300 rum. The 300 rum is my favorite and I have no use for the stw jack handle.....lightbulb

Well, if the STW is useless, you're more than welcome to send it my way...I'll send you a jack handle of specified length, thickness, and material free of charge. I'm a metal fabricator, I can get just about anything.

Dont mean too offend anyone with my sarcasm. I apologize to those who like or love their stw rifles. I have a sense of humor that alot dont see. I used to love my stw but now prefer the 7 over it and the 300 rum over the 7. I am not sending you my stw lol.

Dont mean too offend anyone with my sarcasm. I apologize to those who like or love their stw rifles. I have a sense of humor that alot dont see. I used to love my stw but now prefer the 7 over it and the 300 rum over the 7. I am not sending you my stw lol.

You didn't offend...At first a little sting, but I finally realized that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and it's a free world, so it's all good. I have a dry sense of sarcastic humor as well. Alot of folks think I'm arrogant when I'm really being a smartass. So I feel your pain.

I was half serious about if you don't like it, i can build you a jackhandle and trade you. :D

Hey, you said you hated it...I was just being a humanitarian and offering to bear your burden. LOL

I grew up hunting in a family that used the ol' 30'06 for Alaskan game 100% of the time, from FMJ surplus ammo for fox, coyote and wolves to the 180 gr Partitions and old 220gr RN for moose and bear and it worked VERY well for a kid shooting out to 200 yards

then I bought a Win 70 300 Win Mag and my dad and bro got them hideous cutout stock Rugers in 7mm Mag...... after several years of 1 shot dumps on moose with the 300 WM and witnessing some serious disasters with the 7mm, multiple shots to the shoulder on forkhorn moose followed by endless searching through the thick Alaskan bush, black bears shot at 100 yards square in the shoulder run off never to be found after several days of searching and all the while 1 shot kills were made with the 300 Win Mag

one notable and scary scenario was on Afognak Island (Kodiak) we had several deer down and were packing out when we ran into a ****ed off brownie looking for trouble.... after numerous shots with two 7 mags with no effect other than creating a demon in brown fur.... ONE shot with my 300 Win Mag ended the fight instantly with a 10 ft brown bear

lesson well learned and I vowed to never own anything in 7mm, regardless of case size or rifle it was chambered in.......

I have killed a ton of moose (in antler weight,, lol) with the 30'06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Rum and 7.82 Warbird....never had to track a single one, numerous black bear DRT and won two close encounter brown bear fights with the 7.82 Warbird, one was in near darkness hiking back from my moose calling station, alone.... the 7 mag would have gotten me KBB (killed by bear) or severely mauled (if I was lucky)

my opinion on the 7mm's is my personal experience over the course of 20 years and not meant to flame anybody's pet caliber, we all have our favorites .... 7mm is not one of mine and I do not recommend it over the fantastic 300 Remington Ultra Magnum....'nuff said

I grew up hunting in a family that used the ol' 30'06 for Alaskan game 100% of the time, from FMJ surplus ammo for fox, coyote and wolves to the 180 gr Partitions and old 220gr RN for moose and bear and it worked VERY well for a kid shooting out to 200 yards

then I bought a Win 70 300 Win Mag and my dad and bro got them hideous cutout stock Rugers in 7mm Mag...... after several years of 1 shot dumps on moose with the 300 WM and witnessing some serious disasters with the 7mm, multiple shots to the shoulder on forkhorn moose followed by endless searching through the thick Alaskan bush, black bears shot at 100 yards square in the shoulder run off never to be found after several days of searching and all the while 1 shot kills were made with the 300 Win Mag

one notable and scary scenario was on Afognak Island (Kodiak) we had several deer down and were packing out when we ran into a ****ed off brownie looking for trouble.... after numerous shots with two 7 mags with no effect other than creating a demon in brown fur.... ONE shot with my 300 Win Mag ended the fight instantly with a 10 ft brown bear

lesson well learned and I vowed to never own anything in 7mm, regardless of case size or rifle it was chambered in.......

I have killed a ton of moose (in antler weight,, lol) with the 30'06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Rum and 7.82 Warbird....never had to track a single one, numerous black bear DRT and won two close encounter brown bear fights with the 7.82 Warbird, one was in near darkness hiking back from my moose calling station, alone.... the 7 mag would have gotten me KBB (killed by bear) or severely mauled (if I was lucky)

my opinion on the 7mm's is my personal experience over the course of 20 years and not meant to flame anybody's pet caliber, we all have our favorites .... 7mm is not one of mine and I do not recommend it over the fantastic 300 Remington Ultra Magnum....'nuff said
No swampy, you aren't offending anyone. Most of us that love the big 7mm's are for the most part deer hunters, so we don't really see the need to toss a 300 grain slug into a 120 pound deer. The metric changes though when claws get put on a small car sized critter that's ****ed at you. That's what my 338 and 375 are for.

There's a reason that rem went with the shortened h&h case instead of bowman's 7mm. The 7rem actually does nearly as well as the stw when you are running mid mag powders in both. 4831, 7828, rl22, etc.. don't really let the stw shine as they are a bit to fast for full case capacity at max. pressure loads. Now, if you are using at the fastest rl25 and retumbo, you will notice at least 100-150 fps more from your 7stw. I suggest 85-86 grains rl50 behind that 180 (ham)berger you like.

Btw, my brother's the same way as you are about the 7rem vs. 7stw but with the 280 and 7rem. He had a 7rem that would shotgun instead of group at any load that was faster than his 280's have done. I've never seen a 7rem do well (accuracy) at better than 3200 fps with a 140 and 2800 fps with a 175, and that's at least five rifles. Not saying you can't get a diamond out of a goat's rear once in a while, but I've traded much of my 7rem brass away for a reason.... I'm just not going there again.

I just don't get all the 7mm hate...I guess because the biggest thing we hunt down here is a ****ed off whitetail deer. We occasionally have a little black bear down in south alabama, but I've never hunted that far south, so I don't have to worry about them, even though they don't get much over 250 lbs from what I've been told.

I understand why Pro (swamplord) doesn't like them. His personal experience and needs are different than most every other hunter. Alaska is its own ballgame when it comes to stuff with teeth and claws that will eat you.

Yes, .30 calibers are nice. I have a couple. And I'm fixing to build a .300 Ackley, which is slightly bigger than a .300 Weatherby. I don't really have a need for it, but it's cool and unique, and I already have a Sendero SF .300 Wby barrel with only 20 rounds down it, so might as well ream the chamber to .300 Ackley and get some good use out of the barrel. :D

Sounds like alot of bad luck or poor shot placement on having trouble with a 7mag. Especially comparing a 30-06 as good or better haha. I have one shot killed 3 different elk with my Cloud Peak Gunworks 7 mag Broughtone Barrel rifle. Ranges closest to farthest 510-902-988 yds. If you are having trouble killing moose with the 7 it must be ammo you are running or the nut behind the wheel. You can view many hunting videos of the Best of The West that have killed any North America game animal in 1 shot kills at extreme distances. The 7 is definetely a contender and always will be shooting 168 and 180 grain Berger or Jlk bullets. I like pulling the trigger on my custom 300 rum huskemaw setup. You can hear how much quicker it impacts steel targets traveling 3453 fps vs the 7 running 2995-3010.

I just don't get all the 7mm hate...I guess because the biggest thing we hunt down here is a ****ed off whitetail deer. We occasionally have a little black bear down in south alabama, but I've never hunted that far south, so I don't have to worry about them, even though they don't get much over 250 lbs from what I've been told.

I understand why Pro (swamplord) doesn't like them. His personal experience and needs are different than most every other hunter. Alaska is its own ballgame when it comes to stuff with teeth and claws that will eat you.

Yes, .30 calibers are nice. I have a couple. And I'm fixing to build a .300 Ackley, which is slightly bigger than a .300 Weatherby. I don't really have a need for it, but it's cool and unique, and I already have a Sendero SF .300 Wby barrel with only 20 rounds down it, so might as well ream the chamber to .300 Ackley and get some good use out of the barrel. :D

Mud good buddy, it aint hate... it's just facts and experience. Don't take it personal :)

Oh yeah.... you guys do know this is a 4 year old thread right? :rolleyes:

Mud

I don't hate the 7mm RM or any of the 7's, I still load ammo for my dad and he has taken a lot of moose including a 5x6 and 6x6 Roosevelt Elk and a boatload of sitka blacktail deer with my handloads for his 7mm over the last 20 years, moose aren't that hard to kill but required follow up shots, something I never had to do with the 30 cals, both of the elk traveled several hundred yards after solid
shoulder hits and required another shot to end the run..

Lrt307 is 100% accurate in his guess that ammo selection was the cause of poor performance, I believe it was Federal ammo either the Hi-Shok Pro Hunter or Game King in 150 gr or 160gr can't remember exactly but it was "cheap" at the time , and of course cheap was better and 50 boxes were purchased!
that ammo soured my view of the 7mm and I would never feel secure with a 7mm in bear country, I would opt for the 30'06 over the 7mag every time..even though handloads in the original Barnes X and the Fail Safe bullets did a great job on shoulder shots on big bull moose !
I bought my old man a Ruger 454 Casull and loaded up 100 rounds of Cast Performance LBT 360 gr bullets with a healthy dose of H110 for bear defense since he refuses to part with his beloved 7mm Rem Mag
The OP was asking about the 7 Rum vs 300 Rum on big game up to elk and moose,
in my experience the 30 cal is always a better DRT caliber bullet weight for bullet weight, Bc for Bc and yard for yard given the same case

Last edited:
Mud good buddy, it aint hate... it's just facts and experience. Don't take it personal :)

Oh yeah.... you guys do know this is a 4 year old thread right? :rolleyes:
I was agreeing with you. I was just making a joke about all the 7mm hate. I have a very dry sarcastic sense of humor, and it's hard to tell sometimes over a forum. You know that. :D

We're good bud, no worries.

Mud

I don't hate the 7mm RM or any of the 7's, I still load ammo for my dad and he has taken a lot of moose including a 5x6 and 6x6 Roosevelt Elk and a boatload of sitka blacktail deer with my handloads for his 7mm over the last 20 years, moose aren't that hard to kill but required follow up shots, something I never had to do with the 30 cals, both of the elk traveled several hundred yards after solid
shoulder hits and required another shot to end the run..

Lrt307 is 100% accurate in his guess that ammo selection was the cause of poor performance, I believe it was a Federal ammo either the Hi-Shok Pro Hunter or Game King in 150 gr or 160gr can't remember exactly but it was "cheap" at the time , and of course cheap was better and 50 boxes were purchased!
that ammo soured my view of the 7mm and I would never feel secure with a 7mm in bear country, I would opt for the 30'06 over the 7mag every time..even though handloads in the original Barnes X and the Fail Safe bullets did a great job on shoulder shots on big bull moose !
I bought my old man a Ruger 454 Casull and loaded up 100 rounds of Cast Performance LBT 360 gr bullets with a healthy dose of H110 for bear defense since he refuses to part with his beloved 7mm Rem Mag
The OP was asking about the 7 Rum vs 300 Rum on big game up to elk and moose,
in my experience the 30 cal is always a better DRT caliber bullet weight for bullet weight, Bc for Bc and yard for yard given the same case
Yeah, yall got stuff with sharp teeth and big claws... Scariest thing we got is opening up a shooting house to find a squirrel or bird attacking you. LOL

And we have the occasional weirdo in the woods who shoots anything that moves because he swears he's seen bigfoot before... I hunt FAR away from those people...

BTW, I'm still waiting on that .375 Mjolnir chamber and die reamer set. My birthday is only a couple months around the corner. LOL :D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts