300 RUM vs. 7mm RUM in Sendero

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by muddycreek, Jan 26, 2011.

1. muddycreek

muddycreek Member

For a couple years now I have been a remington guy for my hunting rifles. Currently I'm shooting a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Rem Magnum, shooting Hornady 139gr BTSP InterLock being pushed by 67.5 grains of powder.
    I'm good shooting right now up to 400 yards, and going to keep working on perfecting those shots 0-400 with that rifle.
    I'm looking at buying a rifle to shoot a little bit further with, up to probably 700 yards or so. Right now the Sendero is my choice of guns, I just don't know which caliber would be best. I'm hunting whitetail currently, but want to take antelope, elk, mule deer and hopefully moose and bighorn at some point in my life.
    I'm looking at the 300 RUM and the 7mm RUM and wanting to know the differences, pros and cons, and suggestions on which performs better for hunting situations like I've described. I'm new to the forums, just joined and figured this is my best resource for information on the two.
    Thanks.

2. eyeballjr

eyeballjr Well-Known Member

I have a 300 Rum in a sendero and love it. It is a great shooter. I am very intrigued with the 7mm RUM though, i have heard of people sending 180gr bullets at 3350fps with that thing. Doubt there would be much barrel life though. Don't think you can go wrong either way. Not sure the reloading components are as abundant for the 7 though.

3. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

Both are great guns I have both of them and I have a 338 RUM on order. For your distance I would go with the 7mm just because it is a little flatter. But if it was me I would go with a 338, 2x the barrel life and I think out of the three it is the least finicky to develop a load for. Just my thoughts. I am a huge fan of all the RUM I dont think you can go wrong either way. good luck.

4. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

Both will get the job done. The 7mm RUM will get you higher BC bullets and higher velocity. The 300 RUM will give but little in the BC department and will hit with more authority at 1000 yards. Again, either will take an elk cleanly at 1000 yds.

5. muddycreek

muddycreek Member

So it sounds like at 600 or 700 yards, they're almost identical. So, it will come down to which is burning less powder and which is going to be easier on a barrel over time. what's the verdict on that? Or am I wrong?

6. BH Hunter

BH Hunter Well-Known Member

It sounds like you already own your 700 yard gun.

7. muddycreek

muddycreek Member

With my current 7mm Mag?

8. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

A 7mmRM will get you to 700yrds with ease. The others will have more energy though.

9. muddycreek

muddycreek Member

Right. I want something that's going to pack a punch when it hits at 700 yards. I know I could make the shots now, but don't have the knockdown energy I want. That's why I'm looking toward one of the ultras.

10. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Why not load a 180 in your 7 Rem and be done with it? I'm all for building and buying guns, but that 7 mag will do 1k deer all day long. I think its pushing the outer limit on elk at that range though.

11. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

Between the 300, and the 7mm I would get the 300 due to the much shorter throat life on the 7mm. I have seen some 7mm RUM barrels gone with 600-800rnds through them. Just my opinion.

12. muddycreek

muddycreek Member

I can't push much more velocity out of the 7mm RM than what I'm getting right now. 67.5 is max load on it. The energy difference is pretty substantial based on that velocity difference with the ultras, right?

13. muddycreek

muddycreek Member

Thanks Jeffro. That's what I'm looking for. I definitely don't want to be giving up barrel life for no difference.

14. ubettcha13

ubettcha13 Well-Known Member

Going from the 139grn to a 160-18o vld style bullet makes a huge difference on game at distance. For 700 yds stick with your 7mag and spend the money on a good shooting school or just some coaching sessions.