300 RUM Sendero mods

Shooter Fred

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a few ides or ways to lighten up my 300 RUM Sendero SFII. I have a Vortex Viper PST scope on it with seekins precision rings and 20 MOA base.

I have not made any modifications to this gun other than the scope, base and rings. My intentions for the gun is to Elk hunt in New Mexico which has pretty rugged terrain. I am a little worried about the overall weight of this rifle and lugging it up and down the mountains. I don't want to give up accuracy but was wondering if there is anything I or a gunsmith can do to make the gun noticeably lighter. If you think I am better off sucking it up and lugging around a heavy rifle for the added accuracy just let me know. I am pretty new to this so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-Fred

Pack less other stuff and leave the rifle weight alone. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I jokingly tell the guys that I hunt with just take a dump in the morning and that should save a couple of pounds.Ha Ha.

If you try to save pack weight you would be amazed at how easy it is.

J E CUSTOM

Look into one of the Eberlestock or similiar packs. It makes a big difference putting one of these in a pack as opposed to slinging it over your shoulder.

Pack less other stuff and leave the rifle weight alone. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I jokingly tell the guys that I hunt with just take a dump in the morning and that should save a couple of pounds.Ha Ha.

If you try to save pack weight you would be amazed at how easy it is.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the note...I tend to agree with you, just didn't know if keeping the weight was integral to the accuracy.

Thanks again!

This is a tough dilema to have. I think it may just be better for me to keep the gun and get in better shape.

I am sure if I am in better shape the heavier gun wont be as much of a chore.

This is a tough dilema to have. I think it may just be better for me to keep the gun and get in better shape.

I am sure if I am in better shape the heavier gun wont be as much of a chore.

The reason I recommend a medium to heavy rifle is no matter how good of shape your in,
sometimes you have to go for a shooting position in a hurry and the heaver rifle is a lot more
steady when you are out of breath or shooting offhand or from a poor position.

They also help in the wind.

One of my buddies carries a 6 pack of cokes in his pack and complains about the weight of
the rifle.

One of the good packs with a rifle Carry feature will make a big difference (The rifle will become
part of the pack weight be even more manageable.

J E CUSTOM

My reasoning for wanting to lighten up my rifle is I am disabled because of back problems. So its either figure out a way to lighten up my gun or trade for a lighter gun. Does anyone know how much the sendero stock weighs anyways???? I have emailed both H-S Precision and ask them but they have not got back to me yet and even emailed John Burns as I was inquiring about his stocks...aka greybull precision stocks. His stocks weigh like 2.6lbs, I am thinking they are probably about the same. I have a gentleman who wants to trade me for his remington model 700 7MM Rem mag, he says it weighs 7.5-8lbs. Thats without a scope though. I hate the thought of getting rid of my sendero as I have wanted one even since they first came out.

If you want to lose some wieght from your rifle, have the flutes chased out so that they are the same depth the whole length, instead of the double depth flutes the come with. McMillan offers Edge tech on some of their A-series stocks and replacing that P.O.S. H-S stock that comes with the sendero will lighten the gun up quite a bit.
Good luck with your back.
Cheers

Climbing Alaska mountains for more than 3 decades I too found it necessary to lighten everything. A fact of life if you will. That and why would a carry a 10-12 pound rifle when a 4-6 pound specialty pistol will do the same thing.

I currently have 5 338's and they all weigh with scope ready to hunt 5.2 on the break open 338 Gibbs to my wifes 6.2 pounds 338WSM to the big boy 8 pound 338 Edge. Stocks and little bitty pencil barrel and you can have a mighty light gun.

I currently have a 19" barreled 338 Win Mag rifle I use as a backup when asked to do so for Brown Bear. It is a Savage repeater and scoped it weighs 6 pounds something with a cheapo tupperware stock.

Not sure why one would carry extra weight when they do not have to. But I am a lazy cuss and always looking for a cheaper or better way of conserving money or energy.

Neal

If you want to lose some wieght from your rifle, have the flutes chased out so that they are the same depth the whole length, instead of the double depth flutes the come with. McMillan offers Edge tech on some of their A-series stocks and replacing that P.O.S. H-S stock that comes with the sendero will lighten the gun up quite a bit.
Good luck with your back.
Cheers

I looked it up and the McMillan Ultralight Stock is not recommended for Ultra Mag rifles unfortunately. Does anyone know of a lightweight stock to replace the standard Sendero stock, and how much weight will it save? Also, will a light stock make the gun unbalanced and awkward to shoot?

Thanks!

One more comment.

I can understand the use /need for a light rifle but with a light rifle you give up some of the range
and increase the recoil.

If you build a light rifle in a 300 or 338 you will probably have to install a muzzle break and limit
shots to 3 or 400 yards . or go with a less powerful cartridge and give up long shots all together.

Where I hunt 700 to 900yard shots are the norm and a heavy 338 with 250+ grain bullets is
a must to knock him down where he stands.

Rather than tear down a Sendero to lighten it I would look for a short action synthetic stock,
with a #2 or #3 barrel with a break in something like a 7 WSM or 300 WSM or even the
325 WSM.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I'm not really sure about a lighter stock, that would fit the sendero properly. I have one of each, a stlns BDL and a sendero II. Seems as if the sendero w/o scope weighs more than my BDL with scope. That would be my thoughts on lightening up the stock is that it wouldn't be quite in balance if the stock were significantly lighten up. I bought a 300rum bdl, and a short while after the sendero II came out, which is what I really wanted, so I HAD to get it.

My suggestion would be to trade in or with someone willing to trade with a lighter model or whole new gun. But like JE Custom said, an increase in recoil and decrease in range. Or if it's in the cards, keep the sendero, get a new lightwieght pack rifle suitable for the game intended same caliber or different. My $.02

I carry a 12 1/2 lb Sendero (including 2 lb NF scope and 2 lb Harris bi-pod) in the mountains and plains of Montana and I'm not a young man. There are a few ways to save weight including our own waistlines and that's where I would start saving weight first. Then there's picking good lightweight clothing and boots and equipment. Most lightweight rifles weigh about 6 1/2 lbs give or take vs 8 1/2 lbs for a Sendero. That's only 2 lbs difference. If 2 lbs is going to make or break you in the mountains, then IMO, you're going to have a rough go of it no matter what rifle you are carrying.

That being said, if you want a lighter rifle, don't mess with the Sendero, and especially don't do something like flutting out the barrel more than it is. You might wreck it's accuracy and for maybe a couple ounces of steel not to mention the cost. The Sendero is what is. Just get a lighter gun. Ways to lighten up.... Get a 300 WSM in a short action and shoot 165-168 gr bullets ouit of it that can be seated to fit the mag box. 24" sporter barrel and 1 lb Lone Wolf Summit XL stock and the whole rifle could finish to close to 5 lbs. Depending on your load, it's probably an 800-900 yd gun. Of course, something like that is going to cost you 2 or 3 Sendero's. Is it worth 3 - 3 1/2 lbs?

Best thing to do is be in shape weight wise and condition. My LR hunting rifles will weigh in the neighborhood of 8 1/2 pounds. If I cant carry the extra 2-3 lbs into the mountains, then it's time for me to shorten my trips or find another way in.

Just my 2 cents,

-Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.