.300 RUM seems to give ejector marks very easily ?

Re: Ejector Marks

I wouldn't call that a frain bart. I wish I'd had the ejector pin hole plugged when the rifle was at the smith. See I converted my Rem 700 to single shot and don't use the ejector any more.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call that a frain bart. I wish I'd had the ejector pin hole plugged when the rifle was at the smith. See I converted my Rem 700 to single shot and don't use the ejector any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also will have a single shot 700 but without the ejector pin don't you have to "pick" the empty out?

If I need a quick second shot @ say a second coyote I just want to slap the second round in w/o having to mess with the first empty.

I'm asking, I really don't know. W/a Mod 70 or mauser it wouldn't be a problem.

Yes I do have to pick the brass out. But i'd rather do that than have brass that has been ejected out on to some rocks. Like I said I don't resize the brass, and I don't really want any dents or dings in cases. Necks are turned to a thickness of .011" so you could easily deform a cases neck just by dropping it.

PC, Hodgdon's new data includes the 200 AB. They go to 95.5 grains of Retumbo. 89 grains is the "starting load." Just thought you'd like to know.

Hey guys Im new here and I have a problem that I could really use some help on.
I am fairly new into long distance shooting and precision reloading.

I recently purchased a new Remington 700 Long Range in 300 Ultra Mag. Before I even took it to the range, I had the stock bedded, a muzzle brake put on and my Vortex Viper FFP 6-24 x50 properly installed.

Brass is almost more expensive than loaded ammunition so I purchased a box of Remington Power level 1 150 grain to break in the barrel and several boxes of Barnes 180 grain Vor-tx ammunition.

Out at the range I wasn't very focused on getting my scope dialed in as I plan to reload all of this brass with a yet to be determined load using 208 grain Hornady Match with IMR 7828SSC.

Once back at home I tumbled my brass and sized it. This is where I first noticed my problem. I am getting ejector marks on about 50-70% of my brass. These marks vary in severity and do not seem to change between brands of brass. I shot all 20 rounds of Remington Brass and so far I have shot 20 rounds of Barnes brass.

I spoke with a friend who suggested that it might be a headspace issue. I do not have a headspace gauge but I did use tape on the back of a new, unfired round and with only one layer of tape, I was able to determine that the case has good contact with the bolt face without excessive space.

Question Number One:
"Could this be a bolt/ejector problem"?

Question Number Two
"Is this even a problem"?

Question Number Three
"If this is a problem and I let it go unresolved, what could happen to a reloaded round"? i.e. catastrophic failure?

I haven't even attempted to work up a load yet but I would imagine that by shooting a considerably heavier projectile (208 grain with IMR 7828 SSC) I will have higher pressure. So if I am getting signs of pressure from Rem 150 grain Power Level 1 ammunition imagine what Ill get from hand loads...

Also while priming my first batch of brass, I found that the primers where quite loose. Thoughts?

Thank you all for your input.

Wyatt

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 67
I have a tight neck chamber also in 300 RUM, but have found with FL resizing and bumping the shoulder .0015" that the ghost ejector mark is extremely faint and you have to look at it very hard and in the right light to see. Sometimes you will not see pressure signs with virgin brass as some of the energy is converted into expanding your brass to the chamber specs. I try to do all load development with once fired brass as a result of this. It was nice just decapping and trimming brass, but when I switched to FL sizing many gremlins went away.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.