300 RUM problems

reed

Let me say first that I'm pretty new to reloading, I have been loading 243 and 280 loads with fine results for myself. Ok my friend brought me a box a 300RUM brass that's been loaded once and RCBS standard dies. He wanted me to load a different load for him. I loaded what he wanted, Rem brass, 87gr of IMR 7828, 180NAB, with Rem 9 1/2M primers seated a OAL 3.67. When we tried to load a shell the bolt was really hard to close, so we tried a couple more shells all same results. We then tried some factory shells and the bolt was tight but not as tight. My question did I resize them wrong, I followed RCBS directions. I'vve been using redding dies for myself with no problems and great accuracy. I don't have all the fancy gauges yet. Any information would help, my friends afraid to shoot them. Gun is mostly factory Rem 700 BDL.

Travis

Travis,

With an OAL of 3.6 I highly doubt you are "jamming" the bullet into the into the lands which will cause resistence.
So we then go to the case. You are either not bumping the shoulder enough, or not resizing the body enough. Bumping the shoulder just means pushing it back a bit. This is a hunting rifle and you don't have all the fancy gauges yet so do this...
Start with an unloaded, unprimed, case and resize it with the way your die is set. Chamber it, and as you said it will be tight.... adjust your die down, closer to the shell holder, and resize. Try chambering it in the rifle. If it's still tight, adjust the die down an bit more and try again. Repeat this sequence until the bolt handle drops without any resistence. Adjust the die down a quarter turn at a time.
You may find that your shell holder just touches the bottom of the die on the upstroke of the press. That's okay, it's called "camming over".
When you have done this and you chamber the round with no resistence on the bolt handle, lock the adjusting ring on the die. You're done.
Now finish loading and go to the range..

will it hurt for my friend to shoot the box that is already loaded, will it cause him harm or damage to the gun, I know the accuracy will probably stink but do I need to get a bullet puller and start over.

I just wanted to make sure that he wouldn't get hurt or the gun, he doesn't have any more brass, so we may shoot that box and try again. It seems like the RCBS dies are more difficult to get adjusted than my redding. Do you think the accuracy is going to be thrown all over the place.

Travis

Accuracy may not suffer, but you won't know until you try.

Get some fresh brass, prep it, and go from there.

Feel free to call if you need any assistance, 717.805.0940

thanks I may need some lessons, I only live outside of gettysburg, where in Harrisburg are you. I have a 30 Hart on order that I need to load for coming in May.

if i had a factory gun and unfired factory shells were a little snug when the bolt closed, i think i'd have a smith put a go/no-go guage in that puppy. i agree with everything said and i don't think there'd be any problems shooting it, but that tight bolt on factory ammo would be a red flag for me.you have an indicator that the chamber might be the problem.get that cleared and then move on to the dies.

Joel, when is that cannon gonna be ready to air out?

thanks for the replies, you don't think that putting the shells that did'nt have the shoulder pushed far enough into the chamber and with it being tight and forcing the bolt that it damaged the chamber.

Travis

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.