300 RUM or 338 Edge??

Well according to one ballistic program if I run the 300 RUM with a 215 Berger at 3150 fps at 1000 I'm -452ft lbs less than the edge with a 300gr Berger at 2820fps. On the the other had with the 300 I'm +39.7in over the edge. So I give a little in energy but gain in trajectory. Wind drift is only a difference of 1.3in. So it kinda looks like the 300 is going to be my best bet for now, as I won't be going much over 1000. I could always rebarrel it for an edge in the future if I really wanted:) Thanks for all the replies and great info!

One other thing to consider, sorry didn't read all the posts. But spotting hits or misses will be a lot easier with the Edge and a 300 gr bullet. The dirt splash orrock dust is way bigger. Might not matter to you but it is nice to see them hit.

Jeff

Hi all I have a 338 SC Edge that I built on an extremely low budget and this is how; 1st I bought a 300RUM Remington for about $600 then killed a few whitetails with some 180gr smk's one pretty close, the other only 300 yard with no elevation adjustment which was nice, so then I orderd a barrel from ER SHAW in 338 rum and had them thread the end for a Badger FTE break which I opened up with a size T drill bit and allso bought a badger recoil lug and sent it to ER Shaw so it would all fit wright, used a 338 Edge PTG reamer and a hand crank from my Lexus LX450 jack (but you can use the PTG extension) and reamed it out with a bunch of cutting oil to the proper head space using a PTG 300RUM head space gauge (easy) So then I bought a HS Precision stock and took a dremel to the back end of the action to make way for the Wyatt box for the added OAL. Ok it was a lot of work but this thing drills holes one inside the other @ 100yds and @ 400 I get 2 inch groupings. So here is what I am using : Nosler Custom 300 RUM brass, 96gr H870 don't ask I got a ton of it before they stopped making it, CCI Mag primers, and 300 SMK's @ about 2750fps. (Now time for the reality) I shot a whitetail at about 100 yards on an uphill slope and it not only blew up, but it went about 10 ft threw the air before it hit the ground; not exactly long rang hunting I know, so from now on if I use this gun it's going to need to be a lot further away if I expect to get any meet off it.

Pockets380,

I think you just made your decision. 300rum. Shoot it and have fun till you don't like it any more then re-barrel into a 338 edge. That's why the edge is so nice.

Pockets it's real easy to get caught up in the excitement of "bigger is better" but just read through the classifieds here and over at sniper's hide and you'll find that for many the love affair with the .338 mags and super mag's usually lasts about 100rnds or less.

If I were focusing on elk or other large/dangerous game from 600-1,500yds, I'd go with the .338 Lapua or even the .375 Cheytac.

As yourself reasonably how dedicated you want to be with Shooting elk at +750yds. If "lots" is the answer the .338 gives you an edge in killing power. If the answer however is "well I might get the opportunity someday and want to have enough gun for it if/when it happens" then I'd just stick with the 300 Rum.

If I had an unlimited budget, just for fun I'd build a .300 Laupua but I don't so I'll just stick with the .300 Rum. So far even on very large hogs at long range it's all I need and honestly it's more gun than 99% of shooters will ever "need".

Remember there've been more Elk Killed with the trusty old 30-06 than probably all other calibers combined.

Of all the magnums and ultr mag's that have come out in the last 30 years I reall think the 300 Rum is by far the most practical and versatile especially when you consider the economics. You can buy a nail driver in a used Sendero 300 Rum for under a grand right now here at the longrangehunting.com classified section.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.