300 RUM or 338 Edge??

pockets380

I'm having a problem deciding which one I want to build. I think I have decided and then change my mind! Its going to be a hunting rifle mainly for elk and deer. Also some steel in the off season. I really don't want to go longer than a 28in barrel. I'm wanting to top it with a Huskemaw 5-20. I won't be shooting game much over 1000yds. For that reason I really like the 300 with a 208 A-max or 210 or 215 Berger. 3150fps is the velocity I would try for with the 215. Sounds realistic to me after reading some forums on here. This would get me out to 1000yds and not have to plug in a bunch of ballistics out to there. I'm a little concerned about barrel life though. Am I just worried about nothing, and most likely never shoot it out if I don't load it too hot and take care of it? Will it be significantly better shooting these heavier bullets? Then I really like the edge for it's down range energy! Then again is it like the difference of being hit by a semi or a one ton on the freeway! It's still gonna hurt! Also it seems like the general consensus is that the barrel life is much longer. Seems like everyone that has built an edge is extremely pleased. I also live really close to Shawn Carlock's shop so I would most likely have him do the build on the edge. Is one really more expensive to shoot or build? As i really don't want to break the bank too much! Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

Pockets380, I have several of each. The difference in cost of shooting each is the difference in the price of your chosen bullets. On deer sized game,you won't notice much difference at your ranges. Necking up brass for the EDGE is really no more trouble than loading new 300 Rum brass. The main difference I have seen is that the EDGE is extremely to work up loads for. If you use 300gr bullets in the EDGE you will need a good brake. Shooting steel, I much prefer the EDGE for the dramatic effect. There is something special about the EDGE cartridge and if I was only able to have one rifle it would be a .338 EDGE. Gary Campbell 478-957-5213

I also have both... I was deer hunting in S. texas last year and can tell you that for shots under 500yds.. the Edge was a bit much.. Now, it did do the job.. but it was overkill..

Loading... the two rounds is a toss up... pick one.. both easy. brass prep is the same.

Recoil... IMO.. they both need a brake to shoot accurately.

accuracy.. I have found the edge to be inherently accurate.. low es etc.... easy to group
RUM will require some playing with...

All in all I think its hard to compare both of these rounds... If you want a pure hunting rifle for under 1k yards.. choose the RUM. you can build it in a lighter platform. If you want a target and over 1k round choose the EDGE. either I am sure will serve you well.

neither. 338 Lapua. has better brass, same performance as edge, not as much case prep, brass lasts 2-3 times as long as remington. in the end it will save you time and money

What's the round count for your 300's? Have you had any problems as far as shooting out a barrel? I have also tossed around the idea of the 338 lapua. There's just something about the edge I like:) As far as overkill, I'm all about that! If you had ever seen my truck you'd know! I shoot a 300 weatherby right now and want more. I thought about using it as a donor, but it's a hand me down so I would like to keep it original.

338 lapua????
O.K. I get it, some people like paying a lot extra for their brass and rifles. And the Lapua is a pretty good cartridge, but a regular 338 U will keep up with the Lapua. I think the edge would whoop it, but I haven't worked with the edge.
I have seen the 338U in action and have worked with 2 7mm U's and 2 300 U's. The 300 U's with a 225 Hdy and a compressed charge of rl50 will flat scare you . My 300 Ultra is a lh bdl weighing in under 9 lbs scoped, and 180's, 190's and 225's will hold 3 shots to .4" to .5"all day long. The heavy recoil keeps others from eating up ammo in my rifle, as it isn't braked and has the old style hard pad. Topped with a 6-18x40 Nikon, and Leopold bases/rings of course.
I have over 600 rounds down the barrel and I'm still on the same 150 rounds or so of 7mm U brass( that I wore out the barrel on my 7mm U with and then necked up to 30 when I traded for a 300 U), so I see no issue with the RP brass at all. My only gripe is that I will get a neck split once in a while when first firing necked up 7mm U brass in the 300. I finally sprung for another 70 brass in the last year for the 300, correct head-stamp this time.
As far as erosion at 600 rounds, the bore isn't eroding noticeably at all. 30 and above doesn't wear nearly as bad as the smaller stuff. I've killed a few barrels, and they've all been 7mm or less.

And here's another thought, if you can go to a 26 inch barrel or longer, why not go old school and try the 338 win. My #1 will do 2900 fps on a 225 and 2700 fps on a 250, and these aren't wound out in it's 26 inch tube. rl19 and a 210 or 215, depending on what she wants. It is consistantly sub moa, and I've got a 500 yard plus kill on it on a mule deer.

i dont mind paying extra for Lapua brass because if you take care of it, you will burn out a barrel before you need new brass. Broz i believe is on his 15th or 16th fireing on his 338 Lapua brass.

After having both i would say both you will be happy. Having said that i want you to know that i got parts coming/are here for 2 more 300rums. Main reason, easy to load, i love amaxes and if u need a box of factory in a pinch they have it on the shelf. Although i think my stw is still my favorite

i have an edge and love it i just put it together so dont have much time with it,but sofar i like it .
The new 240gr smk in .308 will put the 300rum right up ther with the edge you will need a 9 twist for it and you will have the option of shooting lighter bullets i would not advise lighter than 165 or 168 . I f you decide to go with the 300 rum have the throught remed deper so you can set the 240 out and not use up to much case valume with that set up you shuld be able to run any load the edge uses for 250gr i use 90gr win 780 or 92gr h1000 i almost wish i would have went that way might just sell the edge and build a 300rum

Yes I will be reloading for whatever I end up with. I will also be putting a break on it too. I dont own and have never shot a breaked rifle. I was a little hesitant about one for a while but i think the benefits out weigh the loudness factor:) I appreciate all the input. Keep it coming!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.