300 rum OAL poll

robbor

What is your length to the lands and what OAL do you shoot? I am just getting ready to load for the first time for my 300 rum, but the head space is off and I need to get a savage wrench to fix it. But anyways I measured mine and the length to the lands was:
Nosler 168 BT 3.8095"
Nosler 125 BT Will not touch
Barnec 165 TSX 3.7475"

unfortunately the magazine is set at SAAMI 3.6" so all will be shot single shot.

I seat to fit my magazine which is 3.6" and get great accuracy. My rifle is a winchester model 70

Re: What is your accuracy?

I will try seating for magazine but at almost .2" off the lands I would not expect much.

I do the same in my 7 Rum. Seat to mag length and get 1/2 moa out to 400 yards and 2/3 to 3/4 moa past that.

I am battling the same issue with my new SAKO FINNLIGHT 300 WSM. I must seat at least .175" back from lands (measured with Stoney Point OAL guage) to barely clear the magazine with 180 nosler partitions. This still, by the way, greatly exceeds the SAAMI from Hornady manual.

Assuming rifle range testing proves my plan acceptable, my plan is to load my "chambered hunting round" cartridge to .050" back, then have 3 backup rounds that fit the mag.

WHO HAS A BETTER SOLUTION?

I got a big Alaska moose waiting on me in a couple weeks, and I want to be ready!

In my Model 7 300 SAUM I shoot 150 gr AB in the chamber, and I have the magazine box full of 140 gr Barnes X. They fit the magazine by a couple .001s and shoot to the same point of impact. I just shoot with the mentality that I am using a single shot. Has worked thus far as I have only need extra rounds to shoot pigs.

Lafe
You might want to try the Accubond bullets, they don't seem to mind long jumps to the lands. I load them in a 300 WM .095 off the lands and they shoot .5-.75 moa, I'm also testing them in a 7 saum at mag. length (.090 from lands)and have printed a couple of groups in the .2s and.3s.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.