300 Rum Nosler ?

DIRTY 30 RUM

Has anyone tried the Nosler brass for the 300 rum. I have noticed with factory Remington bass the primer pockets get week fast @ pressure. I wish Lapua would make brass for these things.

When using Nosler 300 RUM brass for high intensity loads in the 270 AM the primer pockets expand faster than they do with Remington brass.

However, Remington brass presented extraction symptoms (body expansion) long before the Nosler does.

I'm about halfway through the first firing of 50 300 RUM nosler brass in my 338 edge. I'm not ready to make any decisions about the brass yet, but I have noticed one peculiar thing.

The primer pockets seem to be way too deep. I use a hand press for seating the primers, and every one is set back below the face of the brass. After firing all primers have moved back to be flush with the brass face, and the hotter loads(bolt slightly sticking) had flowed out of the primer pocket a fair amount. Has anyone else seen this?

My guess is this motion of the primer, along with allowing the full pressure of the firing into the bottom of the primer pocket is going to loosen the primer pockets on my brass. Only time and firings will tell I guess.

I'm not the most experienced reloader, but these primers are seated twice as deep as any of my other reloads, or factory stuff for that matter.

I stopped by a sporting goods store today and took a look at some 300 RUM Rem brass, man did it look beat compared to the Nosler. It's going to be a real shame to use if this Nosler brass doesn't work out.

Rem brass is not nearly as pretty, that's for sure. However, with some work, you can get it looking pretty good, especially with some time in the case tumbler, trimming, sizing, etc. The Nosler stuff just seemed soft to me, but very pretty. I was a little frustrated with this too and decided to call Nosler about it. Not much info as I tried to press the tech for who the manufacurer was. My guess is it's Norma. But I was told that Nosler brass is made in 2 factories outside the US. It is then 'prettied' up (trimmed, flash holes deburred) across the street from Nosler in Oregon. Who those 2 offshore factories are is another question. Sure wish we could get Lapua to make some 300RUM brass as the Nosler does not seem to be holding up to the pressure that even the REM brass will.

Has anyone tried the Nosler brass for the 300 rum. I have noticed with factory Remington bass the primer pockets get week fast @ pressure. I wish Lapua would make brass for these things.

You could backer her down a little (ie. sacrafice 100 fps to prevent having to tinker with brass all the time). Or, get some 404 Jeffery cases and form them. Of course, you will have to get the bolt opened up a tad to use these cases. From what I am told, you can wear out a barrel with 40 of these cases.

Finally, I formed 50 300RUM Nosler cases into 338RUM cases. When I was testing loads, some of the pockets opened up a tad when I approached a press limit. Instead of throwing the brass away, I got one of the Hart primer pocket tools and have not had any issues whatsoever. Still have the brass and it works great. I have over 10 shots on each piece and my load is 101 H1000 behind a 225 Acubond for 3226 fps in my Hall Express Repeater bolt gun.

OOPs....... almost forgot..... The better the chambering quality the less the brass moves.

Chawlston

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.