300 RUM Nosler/Rem Brass Pic

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jon A, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Jon A

Jon A Well-Known Member

I've just had the stuff for a couple of hours, so far the most interesting difference (we all expected more consistent weight, neck thickness, etc) is the construction around the head of the case. Nosler on the left, Rem on the right:

[​IMG]

Not the smoothest cutting, but some interesting differences are apparent.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice work. Very cool.

3. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

You didn't point out that the colour of the Nosler is nicer too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

JonA,
    Could you compare (mic) both cases about half way up, and post results?

Thanks

5. bsb

bsb Well-Known Member

good pics

6. Jon A

Jon A Well-Known Member

Sorry Roy, but my micrometer just doesn't want to measure the curved surfaces consistently. Using my cheap caliper, roughly 1.1" up from the base (a bit less than 1/2 way up) the Rem looks like about .016 while the Nosler looks like about .019~.020. But those are pretty rough.

7. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

JonA,

Good enough! The indication is that the Nosler case is a bit thicker. If the Nos is a bit harder/tuffer than the Rem then good.

Next question: when the cases are tapped together which one makes the higher pitched sound, the Nos or Rem? It's silly question but has meaning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Looking forward to your further results.

8. waha

waha Active Member

Thanks for the pics! I'm new to this or any hunting/reloading forum but so far I'm very impressed with what I see and the knowledge of the members. I was going to purchase the nosler and do the very experiment that you've performed but you've saved me the hassle. I can already see that the web section in the case head is a lot heavier in the nosler and this should yield a bit more pressure in the case.

Thanks again,

Steve