300 RUM Load development*group pics added*

Definitely worth playing with the seating depth +/- .010, I think you will find that your thought process is correct & one or the other will shrink the group. I would probably work in the 3-4 shot groups until I find the "promised land". Then multiple groups of 5 is the norm for me, basically proofing my original findings. Set us up with a pic of this new rig (unless i missed it).

I just spent two days at the range trying to get a good load. I settled on 86 grains of RL25 under 190 grain Berger. I shot 13, three shot groups over the two days. ( I kept going back to this load to see if it was a fluke ). The average of the 13 groups was .460 with the largest being .580 and the smallest .318 all at 100 yds. 5 of the groups where in the .3 This is a custom build and I would like to see better groups but This load will do for now.

Ok I ran out and shot a group at lunch. The original plan was to try .010 closer and .010 further away from the lans but when I twisted the rod for my seater they came out .013 further away so I decided to shoot them as it. So to re cap my first group was .050 off the Lans these are .063. I t is kid of hard to tell without measuring but looks to me like an improvement.

2011-08-09133034.jpg

And For Outlaw here are a couple pics of the new rig.
2011-08-09130342.jpg

2011-08-09130359.jpg

Mike Looks like a good start. Barnes can be somewhat touchy as most monolithic bullets are. Id try seating up to .100 off the lands. If you are after a bit more speed US869 is a great powder to try.

Great looking rig Mike, sometimes right handed people make me jealous....

What type of rings are you running on there? If your seeing improvement @ .063 seat'em another .010 & see what happens. US869 would probably yield more velocity, but i've been told it isn't very temp stable (i have no idea).

Very nice rifle. How do you find the recoil with no muzzle break? The one I have ordered is the SPS but have a laminated Boyds stock and limbsaver waiting for it. These groups look a tad over 1", is that right. Have you tried the 200gr Accubond and how did they go.
Sorry for all the questions but as I said I am waiting for the delivery of my 300 RUM.
Will interested to see how this load develops.

Great looking rig Mike, sometimes right handed people make me jealous....

What type of rings are you running on there? If your seeing improvement @ .063 seat'em another .010 & see what happens. US869 would probably yield more velocity, but i've been told it isn't very temp stable (i have no idea).

If it makes tou feel any better I am left handed I was just blessed with a dominant right eye...The rings are Burris Extreme tactical lows on a TPS 0 MOA steel rail. I think I will seat them out another .010 and see what happens. they are starting to look mighty stubby with all that bullet in the case. Cant even see the first canaleur. ...I am not too concerned with velocity because even at a slow 3100 this things cooking right along for a 200 grainer.

I have not tried any bullet but the 200 LRX so far.

Yes tour right the us869 is not very temp stable, but it is cooler and should yield good vel. I was thinking about going with a boyds or a thumbhole laminate from stocky's.

I was pretty sure those were XTR's... are they on backwards? :D The ones i have experience with have flats milled to one side of the cross bar & were rounded on the other. Mine have to be mounted with the nut on the left side of the action. who knows maybe they changed it?

you're right +3100 is smokin for a 200 grn bullet! gun)

I guess I dont really know what your talking about. is it possible for them to be on backwards? or are you just giving me crap like everyone else does about having the nuts on the bolt side of the rifle? I have all my rifles with rails set up that way. I like the looks of the nut on the right side and it has never gotten in my way.... oh well maybe if i turned them around like a normal person my gun would shoot straight...:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.