.300 RUM kicks like a mule

I am very familiar with the Answer brake.
They are IMO the best in looks and recoil reduction.

We install brakes, we call em HD Brakes. They are identicle to the Answer brake. The guy who made brakes for Answer split off from Answer and bought part of the company. He did not get the rights to use the name, however the brake design was good to go for use.
Anyways, we install them under the name of the HDR Brake. They may well be available in Brownell's soon.
Celt

oj and btw, you live in central oregon,, so you're not close to Eugene then huh?Any chances you still know a guy named Patrick Wolf?

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will probably go with the Holland brake since it is within my home state. Does anyone know what they charge and do they install them?

i was hearing horror stories regarding the RUM's before i got my 338 RUM. on my maiden voyage to the range, i brought a padded mitten and a neoprene life jacket just in case it kicked like a mule. as i was setting up, a fellow shooter drove up and proceeded to tell me about a friend of his that got a 300 RUM and with the first shot, he got scoped, same with the second. the third shot, knocked him off his chair
grin.gif
grin.gif
he then sticks around to see if i get a dummy mark on my forehead. so i suck the rifle tight into my shoulder sans any padding and squeezed the trigger. i was surprised when the rifle fired. the recoil really wasn't that bad. i proceeded to break-in the barrel with 30 rounds of 225 gr near max loads. one shot did sting a bit because the buttstock was more on my bicep then my shoulder. i guess the moral is to hold the rifle tight to ones shoulder.

Went through about the same experience as EZ only with a 338 Win in REM 700 BDL.

The thing was stock factory except for decelerator recoil pad.

Loaded two rounds just to shoot the thing and determine which powder I wanted to start with.

Shot offhand thru the chrono, at a pretty steep down angle. Next thing I saw was blue sky then 2790 fps fr the 225 Hor Interlock.

Then went to the bench. First shot, darn that kinda hurt
frown.gif

Second shot
mad.gif
shocked.gif
I was doing something similar to a rain dance or maybe a the old winged ostrich dance around the bench.

Had to shoot the 3rd shot, gotta have that 3 shot group.
rolleyes.gif
Not a good idea. Took a week for the soreness to go away.

Went for the advice of shootin' pal who shoot nothing smaller than a 338 Win. Did several layers of foam rubber. Cumbersome.

Added a little better than a pound of weight. Some in fore arm some in butt stock. The rifle now goes just over 10 lbs.

All problems have gone away and have not introducted any new ones by adding a break, which was a serious consideration.

BTW this is my first experience with anything bigger than 270/06 for anything serious.

Off the bench or in the field she's a keeper.

Just my opinion.....

I though my 300 rum Sendero was going to be a real bad kicker when I first shot it. I used a folded up dish rag between the stock and my shoulder and that was all I needed. Shoots 1/2in groups. Do yourself a favor and buy a 30$ recoil shoulder pad. Stay away from the muzzle brakes the muzzle blast and noise is going to be very sever from the RUM your head will be pounding when when you get home from the range and so will everyone eles around you. A friend of mine has a 7mm RUM with one and no one can stand being around that gun when it go's off it's BAD!!! If you can deal with the noise and blast go for it it will shoot like a ***** cat after. I put a KDF on a 7mm Mag a few years back (never again)it feels like a 243 now but it's loud as hell... just my 2 cents..good luck.

Hey I have a REM 700 Sporter in 300RUM,LIGHT rifle.It has a Houge after market rubber stock with there recoil pad,plus a VIAZ quite muzzel brake.Its awsome,just shot my first Black bear with it,now he is in my frezzer.I hand load max loads,with the brake and the Hogue recoil pad.I can shoot it repeatedly.However three shots and BBL is steaming hot.
smile.gif

Well, I have a Winchester Sporter chambered in a 358-404 Imp, basically 280g/2900fps/92g of powder, and it weighs all of 9.5# scoped and loaded. I put a deccelorator pad on it, and it ain't bad at all. I'm only 180# on a fat day, and it's much easier than load development for my dad's 375 H&H Ruger #1.
In fact, I put almost 30 rnds thru it a couple weeks ago with no ill effects, along with a bunch of FAL plinking.
So, Ezy, forgive me if this seems overly basic, but proper form is a must. I shot a hotrodded 6.5x55 from a M700 Classic, and it was freakin' stiff! Something like 140/2825, but you still had to brace up.
IF you are new to shooting heavy/fast guns, make sure to find some buds around, willing to watch you and give pointers. Otherwise,best case scenario you end up learning to tolerate it and develop some poor habits around it.
Good luck and happy shooting!
Taylor

i started playing with recoil reduction options first rifle 7 mag sporter 8 lbs put a brake on it($125) cut recoil by 40% next rifle 7 mag sendero with a pair of edwards recoil reducers filling the void with epoxy,limsaver pad($225) and with scope weight is at 14.5lbs recoils is reduces by 50%. With the brake the cuncusion sucks(I dont think I will own another)the other rifle is a big push no sharp recoil.The next option to look at is a supresser(which are leagal with the right paperwork)from my reading cuts recoil by 50% adds 50-100fps and can be shot without ear protection approx 130 decibles

there is a difference between when your hiped for a shot at an animal and sitting at a bench shooting 50-100 rounds with bench shooting high recoil just gets old

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.