.300 RUM kicks like a mule

trader388

muzzle brake will help a lot. Badger or Ops Inc. Ops from what I hear reduces recoil a bit more and the noise somehow. Badger is cheaper. You get what you pay for.
smile.gif

I live in Central Oregon about 40 miles from Bend. Is anyone familiar with the Answer rocoil reduction system and approx cost for it. Thanks for the advise.

If you got a gunsmith close by see what he has to offer instead of it sending out. I've got on on my 300rum in fact I wouldn't fire it till I had one put one. Good luck.

Hold your horses there fellas! I had the same issue with my Remington 700 S/S in 300 RUM. Ripped that tupperware stock off it and got a HS Precision stock on it with a longer LOP and went to a Leupold VXIII from a Bushnell 3200 for the eye relief and now its no problem to shoot. Do yourself a favour and look at getting a custom stock for it before altering the barrel....could be the right ticket for you too!

While a properly fitted stock such as the H-S and more importantly an upgraded recoil pad will make some difference, it will not begin to compare to the recoil reduction of a quality muzzle brake like the Holland QD's I recommend.

I have installed them on alot of RUM rounds and they basically turn the recoil into that of a 270 class rifle with no other changes needed to the rifle.

The installation of a Kick-Eez recoil pad along with the brake will make the big 300 feel like a 25-06.

I do agree that a brake shoudl be fitted only as a last resort and only if the owner plans on keeping the rifle because once you alter the factory barrel your resale value is gone.

Still with a restocking job to an H-S stock running in the $300 level and the brake installation running $165, you get more for your buck with the brake installation in my opinion.

Just do not plan to get full price if you try to sale the rifle on the used market. Just the nature of the beast!

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

EZY,

If you decide to go with the Holland break, like 50Driver suggested, Darrel Holland is in Powers southwest of Roseburg. I'm not a fan of breaks but I remember my dad having Darrel install one of his breaks on a 338. Darrel picked the rifle up at a gun show in Roseburg on a saturday and returned it at the show on sunday. The break is very effective, the work was very nice and the speed, well hard to beat that.

EZ43,
just a tip. this is what I did. I bought the 300 rum in the sendero. picked up a Choate ultimate sniper stock. filled the forend and grip with lead shot (epoxied) rifle weighs in around 21 lbs. but! it is very pleasant to shoot and incredible accurate. reload 190gr match kings. my last 400 yard group was 1 3/4". I am very satisfied. I have thought of the idea of a muzzle brake but I am not in the mood for the increased muzzle blast and am really concerned of affecting the accuracy. just an idea.

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading though the different topics. I bought a .300 ultra mag last year and so far I don't like shooting it. It kicks pretty hard to me and I am not being able to shoot with any accuracy. Anyone have any suggestions on making this gun more enjoyable. I have been thinking about a muzzle brake but don't know that much about them. Thanks for your advise.
confused.gif

I like the slimline brakes from High Performance Gunsmithing.

I have one on a 25-06, 300 SAUM and 338 RUM. With the 25-06 I put the brake on when I want to see my bullets hit or when a kid shoots it - virtually recoilless and a tack driver.
With the 300SAUM I put the brake on during load development, but keep the threaded protector cap on when hunting. I have not found any difference in POI when switching between the two.
I never take the brake off of the 338 RUM. It makes it managable to shoot 300SMK out of a less than 10 pound rifle at 2750 fps. I get a big push, but nothing that jumps up or is painful in any way. Without the brake...
mad.gif
shocked.gif
mad.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.