300 rum chamber

coachA

I see that there is a lot of people that shoot the 300rum and I have question about the action and chamber. Those of you that have built one, did you use a regular long action or is it like the 338 lupus? I know the 338 lupus has a larger action than the basic long action.

RUM vs Lapua

It's a bolt face issue to some degree, case length in others.

The RUM uses a standard magnum bolt face. Any bolt that can accommodate a 300 Win Mag can accommodate a RUM.

The Lapua uses a size up from the RUM. The 'standard' R700 bolt does not leave much for their 'three rings of steel' if opened up to Lapua case head size.

Both have challenges with COAL when seating the bullets the way "we" seat them for long range. Both can easily exceed the ~3.65" standard R700 magazines. This can be cured very cheap and easy with a Wyatts. That will get you to ~3.75". The Lapua seems to fit in this length most of the time. Longer RUMs sometimes will not.

If using a "custom" action, Weatherby or CZ550 then the bolt face and magazine length issues pretty much go away.

You pays you money and you takes you choices.

I use Weatherby actions.

I actually have a Savage 116 7mm that I was thinking rebarraling. So I guess my next question is,what issues can I expect to have? Is the build possible?

You can build one on a 116 you'll just have to single feed it.I built a 338 edge on a 112 single shot action.It will put three 300 gr berger OTMs in one raged hole at 100.

The real question is whether or not the cartridge will fit and feed from your action. The RUM cartridge has a large diameter and won't pass some feed rails. Remington widens the rails in their rifle that will use the RUM cartridges. Not sure about your rifle.

I see no reason that you can't seat a heavier bullet so it will fit and feed from your action with the standard OAL of 3.6". The bullet will be protruding into the powder space which may lower obtainable velocities. You may not be able to seat a bullet to touch the rifling but again the rifle can still perform. Berger's hybrids work quite well with bullet jump.

I have shown this 300 WSM loaded with the 230 gr berger hybrid target bullet before. It fits and feeds from the 2.8" magazine. It shoots this bullet at 2722 fps using RL-17. It is accurate from my friend's Browning A-bolt with a 22" barrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.