300 RUM build- Montana Action opinion please

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by yeahbuddyprostaff, Nov 2, 2009.

1. yeahbuddyprostaff

yeahbuddyprostaff Member

Hey there,
    I have been lurking on this forum for a while.....this is my first post.

From Oregon, would like to call my self a bow hunter, but have an obsession with guns. I guess I just really like to shoot stuff.....

I am building a 300 ultra and need to deside on an action. Looking for some info on Montan Actions. Looking for your imput. If not Montana what would you use?

Thanks,

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

What will you be shooting? ie paper, hunting, what distance, mag feed, no mag feed...how much do you want to spend? I like BAT actions they have both single shot and repeater. By answering some the above I'll try to help you. Charlie:)

3. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Staying in the same price range as the Montana, I'd go with a Stiller Predator.

I believe that the machining is better on the Stiller and it is a Remington clone which opens the door to many more aftermarket options like triggers, stocks, and bottom metal.

4. yeahbuddyprostaff

yeahbuddyprostaff Member

This will be a mostly hunting rifle. Distance 600-1000. I will have a mag and what I like is the assisted feed this atction has.

The action comes with a trigger, 2 lbs, which has a very clean break. My smith is making the stock with my measurements.

I do not have a budget.

Thanks for your help.

5. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

You may want to also take a look at Borden Timberline/Alpine action lots of options. Good shooting. Charlie

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member