300 RUM brass

Until the primer pockets are too loose to hold a primer. Not had any neck splits, etc. Just the loose primer pockets.

I usually get 6 to 8 reloads.

Jerry

Same here about 6 times. Primer pockets start to get loose around the 5th time. After that trash them. Ultra Mag brass is cheap I just got a 100ct from MidWay for 42$

How is the quality of that stuff , how may would a guy have to buy to end up with 100 good fairly concentric cases ??

I'm thinking about this caliber lately

Federal is making 300 RUM brass which is pretty good. Search the archives there is some info about it.

Frank D

Is there something about the 300 RUM that makes it eat primer pockets (higher pressure, headspace?)?
A couple weeks ago all my regular sources of brass had run out of 300 RUM, - I back ordered (and just received) 500 of the 300 RUM brass.
You can prevent neck splits by annealing, but annealing the web would be disasterous (and make things worse if you didn't get a head seperation).
Can anything be done (aside from avoiding hot loads) to extend the life of 300 RUM brass?
Annealing Brass

>>how may would a guy have to buy to end up with 100 good fairly concentric cases ??

I'll be sorting mine by weight, neck thickness & runnout (after resizing). Hopefully I'll have groups that are consistent and 200 or so for plinking brass.

b1g_b0re you won't get RUM brass to last. Mine are scraped at #6 firing usually maybe 1 more load or used as a hunting load and thrown away after the shot. The RUM's work under some pressure and will eat the pockets.

Some BR guys super glue a primer in loose pockets to get one more firing from a lot of brass they really like,..but that is a bit extreme (even for me).

I use Neil Jones inline dies for my 300rum and I've only fired about 65 round and did have to FL after 3 firing kind of hoping to get about 8 firings. It's funny but on the 30-378 with wby brass got 10 firing on cases. I think someone would come up with a bushing for those primer pocketrs like they did on the old sako 220 russian brass when those pockets opened up and that kind of ended that problem.

So what is the problem with RUM brass primer pockets? Is it the quality of the brass? The manufacture tolerances? or the amount of pressure because of what you are asking from it?
If Lapua or Norma were giving a try to make RUM brass, would it be any better? (I thought Weatherby brass was made by Norma? Is that why it can stand up to 10 reloads as mentioned earlier on?)
Thanks for the answers.

ND

hey guy what do you want? I toss 308 after 6 reloads...300 rum is not that expensive...I toss 338 lapua after 4 reloads and it runs $1.33 a piece...Sometimes it is very expensive to save money

I just trashed 50 cases today (sucks). When pressure gets above 50,000 psi brass does not live long. If you want to get more life out of your brass don't load them real hot. But then again why would you load the UM anything but hot kinda Defeats the purpose. If i was going to do that i would have just bought a 300 win mag. Know what I mean you take the good with the bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.