.300 RUM brass

Sasquatch

to the more qualified, I have a question.

I am reloading for my 300 RUM using remington brass, remington 9 1/2M primers and 99.5 gr Retumbo behind 180 gr interbonds seated at 3.600" so they can be fed through the magazine in my 700 CDL, and still quite far from the lands. The cases are averaging .0002 expansion with the edge of the micrometer head on the shiny rub mark left by my full length resizing die. the primers still look normal to me after firing (much better than the factory loads). After two firings, 20 of 75 primer pockets were so loose that I didn't feel any resistance putting the primer in.

I tossed the 20 and am going to reject the other 50 after this firing, but before I finish loading. . .

Is this common with the remington brass or did I just get a poor quality batch? How much do you recommend I lower the loads to bring the pressure down during this final firing if that is the problem?

First, have you fired your loads through a chronograph??

2nd, Retumbo sometimes has a tendancy to beat up brass pretty good. No I dont know why. You may want to experiment with differant powders such as RL-25 or H50BMG if your rifle generates higher than normal pressures for a given powder type and charge.

Make sure and start with a chrony. If your loads are within velocity standards, try another powder, if not back off. Retumbo will be somewhere around 20-30 FPS per grain in the 300 RUM. If you decide to try a differant powder and your velocity is less than max and still have the same problem, it could be the brass. Try new brass and if that doesnt help, look elsewhere. I am not sure where.

I havent noticed Remington 300 RUM brass to be that bad. Also, have you tried any other primers?

Hope that helps some.

Sasquatch Rem primers are very loose compared to others after about 2 to 3 firings. I don't know why other than they are just a smidge smaller in diameter compared to other brands. I have experienced the same thing in my 7RUM. some of my cases are on their 5th firing and I could put rem primers in with my fingers if I wanted but CCI and fed still fit fine.

I hadn't thought of that 7RUM. I'll see if I can get a good fit with CCI or Federals after I shoot up the 50 that still had some resistance. I've had bad luck with win primers in the past.

Guys,

I have run into a loosening withcertain primers and Rem brass in my 338 EDGE's. I have found that Federal brass has tighter primer pockets and not had problem 1 with Fed brass and CCI 250's. I believe that you are running into a big but acceptable pocket and a small but acceptable primer. Good components but poor combo.

sasquatch,
I have only used remington brass in the 300 RUM, also I have only used Retumbo powder. The only time I had loose primers was when I had 180 grains coming out at 3480 f/s or so,(pretty hot load from a 26 inch barrel);then again right now I'm shooting 200 grains accubond at just over 3200 f/s and no loose primers in 3 loadings. I do use Federal Match primers. A better brass would be Federal and from what I read a good place to get it from would be FROM HERE Many from longrangehunting.com have reported to be excellent!
Good Luck to you!

I went and bought some CCI 250 primers this morning, there weren't any federals left. resized and deprimed 1 casing that had a loose primer from the remington primers. grabbed a new one and decided to try putting it in by hand. the primer started in, but I couldn't seat it without some extra leverage from a butter knife. grabbed a CCI primer and couldn't even get it started without the press! Thanks for the help guys.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Anyone want 700 remington 9.5 Magnum primers? If the offer is right, I'm willing to trade. Maybe some ocean front property here in WY? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<ul type="square"> [*] meichele is right on. Borrow or beg a chrono [*] 7RUMloader - I can't believe you didn't suggest WC 872 . I ordered 24 lbs today from Pat's Reloading - Only $36 for 8lbs. Lots of folks get great results in their RUMS and RUM like mags with this powder. [*] Eaglet is right on with his D&amp;L Sports, Inc recommendation - at least that's the word. I just got a box of 250 from Dave this week. Visual inspection is very disappointing - they look so much better than my 3,000 once fired Rem brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The only bad thing is they come with a primer. [*]Even under the best of condition, Rem RUM brass is only good for 4 reloads. [*]I've got two new 300 RUMS I hope to test this weekend. Reports pending. [/list]

let me know how the 872 does. Today I burned up 50 rounds out of the RUM and hit 35 p-dogs at ranges from 85 to 531. I LOVE this new stick.

Sasquatch jwp475 has some 300 Rum WC872 data he might share with you. All mine is for the 7 Rum. I like it so far!

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> I would be very interested in WC872 load data for the 300 RUM. </font> 260

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO! new thread or post to this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> I would be very interested in WC872 load data for the 300 RUM. </font> 260

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO! new thread or post to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use federal brass and federal 215 primers and 115 grains of WC872 with 180 grain Accu bond or 180 TXS crono's about 3375 from my rifle and shoots very well 115 grains is all that I can COMPACT into the case 113 grains works well with 200 Accu Bonds don't remember the velocity off the top of my head My rifle has a 27 1/2" Krieger barrel including brake and a 1 in 12 twist

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.