300 RUM and VLD's velocity ?

justin300mag

o.k. I have shot 180 grain accubonds out of this gun for quite awhile but have never been very impressed by the accuracy. I recently switched to 185 grain Berger hunting VLD's and I am using 88 grains of RL-25 I am getting pretty good groups. the problem is My chrony is telling me my loads are only going 3060 FPS. I am dissapointed in this speed as my old loads were going 3283 and I know of others getting over 3400 FPS. Is my Chronograph broken or is this a normal velocity for a load like this anybody that shoots a comparable load let me know what you are getting.

It is not surprising that your load is going that slow. I think you have some case capacity to get some more powder in there.

Also, one should not put much credence into 'internet velocities'. My 300RUM shoots the 208/210 grain bullets about 3150fps with 91grains of Retumbo. If I believed what was on the internet, I should have been able to push them at 3300+

If you want to shoot the 185grain bullets (and I would recommend you shoot an even heavier bullet), you should consider changing to Retumbo and more than 88 grains of it.

Agreed with above, 88 gr is light and not near max from the load data I have had. Also, I am in AZ and have shot mine when it was 118 out. If I can't get to a velocity that someone posted at that temperature then their chrony is broke, they are full of it, or their barrel is at least a couple inches longer than mine.

I will tell you I just switched over to H1000 in both the 300 RUM and a 7mm Dakota and my ES across the board is much better and the velocities are not much different. It seems at least in hotter weather the H1000 is a bit more stable. Of course this is only one variable I did not test different primers or in cooler weather.

I am shooting the 190's in the RUM and 180's in the 7mm. I agree with trebarks recommendation the RUM' seems to like heavier bullets, I have shot mine all the way down to 150's and while okay I got more of the occasional random flier with the light stuff.

yeah I started out with load data from berger and their max load was 89 grains. I am now learning that this is very conservative I think I am going to work up some 93, 94, 95's in that area. it almost seems like people are getting better accuracy with these bullets pushing them harder.

I don't see that being a problem the Retumbo can says 100.5 max load for a 180 gr bullet. I was in the area you are describing with the 190's. Just work up one grain at a time and keep watching for pressure signs.

I am pretty sure you will get back to the old load speeds you are looking for.

yeah I started out with load data from berger and their max load was 89 grains. I am now learning that this is very conservative I think I am going to work up some 93, 94, 95's in that area. it almost seems like people are getting better accuracy with these bullets pushing them harder.

My experience with the VLD's has been similar, they have been the most accurate for me when pushed pretty hard at or near max load. This has been in different rifles as well. My 27" barreled 300RUM pushes 210VLD's to 3110 with 89.5 grains of H1000 touching rifling with low ES and .375 to .5 MOA accuracy.

In preliminary testing of the 180 grain cutting edge bullet .6 BC I have shot it to over 3500 fps with no pressure signs. This is out of a 28" barrel 300 RUM. This makes 1000 yard kills on any big game fun. Retumbo worked well.

i have been looking at the CE bullets but haven't tried them yet. Anything different regarding how you are loading them?

My experience with the VLD's has been similar, they have been the most accurate for me when pushed pretty hard at or near max load. This has been in different rifles as well. My 27" barreled 300RUM pushes 210VLD's to 3110 with 89.5 grains of H1000 touching rifling with low ES and .375 to .5 MOA accuracy.

In preliminary testing of the 180 grain cutting edge bullet .6 BC I have shot it to over 3500 fps with no pressure signs. This is out of a 28" barrel 300 RUM. This makes 1000 yard kills on any big game fun. Retumbo worked well.

Internet Velocity Alert! Internet Velocity Alert!

My experience is quite different. I load 91grains of Retumbo behind the 208grain Amax for 3150fps with a 32" (say it again) 32" barrel.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

well it went great I shot 93 grains 94 and 95 with no signs of pressure. 93 shot 3190, 94 shot 3250 95 shot 3320. 93 shot the best group with 4 shots nearly through the same hole.

I experienced the same disapointment when I run my loads through the chrony. I shot about 6 different kinds of powder during load development. From Re 25 to Retumbo, to H1000. To my surprise the best groups I got by far was from H 4831 and IMR 4831. I played with seating depth in all powders also. My 5 shot groups with these other powders at 200 yards measured around 3 to 4 inches. Both the 4831 powders dropped the 5 shoot 200 yard groups to just a tiny bit over an inch, thus causing me to stick with this powder. I then started my drop data and when I run it through the chrony I was only running around 2900 fps. Shot through the chrony two different days because I thought something was wrong but it was confermed. Oh well I said and I stuck with the accuracy. During load development I stagged my powder weights up till I was seeing pressure signs on the primmer and case head then backed off a few grains till they disapeared. My load for the 300 RUM is 80 grns of H 4831, shooting 210 VLDs with them as far in the lands as they will go without pulling out of the case when ejecting a live round. I'm shooting a 27" Bartlien barrel. Did not shoot any of the other loads through the chrony, therfor I do not know what the Retumbo and Re 25 was pushing the pills to. I feel cheated on the velocity but the superb accuracy outways the disapointment in my case.

I too was disappointed with my velocity. 210 grain bergers, h-1000 powder, 30" barrel. During workup I shot 3 loads at 88 grains (velocity of 3020) but all three showed significant cratering in the primers. I backed off a 1 grain and this disappeared. I was hoping for better velocity but it shoots 1/2 MOA so I will take accuracy over velocity.

I too was disappointed with my velocity. 210 grain bergers, h-1000 powder, 30" barrel. During workup I shot 3 loads at 88 grains (velocity of 3020) but all three showed significant cratering in the primers. I backed off a 1 grain and this disappeared. I was hoping for better velocity but it shoots 1/2 MOA so I will take accuracy over velocity.

I would think you would be over that velocity too. My 300 win with 210 Bergers in a 28" Broughton is at 2995 with a 10% lesser charge of H-1000 in Lapua brass. Pretty much the same velocity in WW brass too. I have shot this load a lot and it has been checked on 3 different chrono's. Two of which were Oehler 35's. Using the factory BC for the hunting bullets of .616 and the velocity of 2995 my drops are good to 1000 and I have tested them extensivly.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.