.300 RUM and 180gr Barnes??

Dan B

Working a load for a friends .300RUM (Savage 116 BSS). The load will be for elk and he really wants to shoot the 180gr Barnes bullets. I've heard all the precautions about keeping back from the lands and cleaning often. Other than that can anyone suggest a starting load? I'm gonna try RL-25 and Retumbo w/ Fed 215 primers unless I hear different.

Thanks........Dan

I have had great results shooting the 180 TXS in 2 ea. 300 win mags and 1 ea. 300 RUM. I have gotten .4 MOA or less with this bullet and no excess fowling at all. The TXS shot as well in my guns as I could get with the 190 SMK and better than the 180 AccuBond, I used fedsral 215 primers in Federal case's,with Retumbo.The first load with Retumbo that I worked up was 99.5 grains, but my next lot topped out at 96 grain.The first batch of Retumbo showed no pressure problems @ 99.5 grains, but the next batch stretched primer pockets at 99.5 grains thus the 96 grain load

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.