300 RUM Ackley

ss8541

I am currently building a long range rifle. Trued Reminton 700 action, McMillian A3 stock, Jewel Trigger, Nightforce NXS scope and Bases.I have a 30", 1-10 twist fluted Krieger barrel (5"x1.25" and then a straight taper to .850" @ 30"). I will shoot The Jensen 200 grain J40 (BC> .797) for long range rock chucks, and 180 Grain J36 (BC> .672) Bullets for big game. I was going to build it on a tight neck 300 ulta, but now I am considering an ackley version of this. For the Ackley I will use Norma 404 brass And a set of Huntingtons 300 RUM forming dies and then fire form the cases. After fire forming I think I could still use the Redding type-s Bushing dies to neck size cases. I'm not sure if the seating die would still work? The chamber would also be a tight neck configuration. I would appreciate any feed back on this setup. Any flaws in my thinking would be nice to catch now.
Thanks,
Vince Foster
I just started working with the 140 grain 7mm. J36's in a 27.5" barrel STW and it looks promising; 3550 fps. 3-shots in .32".
Next week I will start with the 130 grain HV bullets from GS custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.