300 RUM, 300 Dakota, 300 Jarret, which would you choose?

Daniel Ludwig

i realized that my last post was alittle too broad, so there are my choices, the rifle will be used for hunting from my shoothouse at ranges averaging around 3-500yds, but have shots up to and over 1000 also. 700 BDL action, origionally 7mm Rem Mag, 28-30" Lilja or Pac-Nor barrel. Rifle will obviously be heavy, so recoil is no prob.
thanks to all for the advice
Daniel J. Ludwig

In a quality rifle for reaching out with 1000 yard potential on big game, I would keep one of your choices, remove the other two and add a new one or two.

I would keep the big RUM and get rid of the Dakota and Jarret. Not for lack of performance but simply for economic reasons and the fact that three are factory rounds that will offer the same levels of performance.

The 300 Wby, even though I am not a fan of the double radiused shoulder, will equal anything the Jarret will do and the 300 Dakota is a bit less in performance then those two but with spend brass that is only available from one source.

Have you ever considered the 8mm Rem Mag? This round, when loaded to its proper levels with the proper bullets is a tremendous long range round. I would not use it for 1000 yard shooting but for ranges out to 700 yards it is at least the full equal to the 300 Jarret in performance.

I am also one of those that feel the rifles make the rounds accurte, not the rounds make the rifle so I do not buy much into inherent accuracy theorys comparing one round to another. There have been to many rifle built that should nto shoot well that shoot very well for this theory to be true across the board.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen (50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.