300 RUM 210 Berger velocities

Gary Morgan

I have a Remington Sendero that I have rebarreled in 300 RUM with a 28-inch Krieger. It has absolutely dumbfounded me with its accuracy at 100 and 500 yards. I haven't had access to longer ranges yet. My last three three-shot groups at 500 have been 1.54 inches, 1.96 inches and 2.8 inches. I am shooting 94 grains of Retumbo and have had it on the chronograph in October and in January. In October, it was averaging 3,175 with single digit ES and SD. In January, it averaged 3,152 FPS with low double digit ES and SD. When shot in October, it was 87 degrees and in January 47 degrees.

I'm very curious what velocities others are getting when using the 210 Berger. I'm not talking about what velocities you can attain just as the bolt locks up, but I'm asking what velocity you are getting loaded for accuracy.

Thanks for your input.

My go to load for my 300RUM is also 94gr Retumbo with a winchester primer and the 210 berger. It will shoot 1/2inch groups @ 200 all day and sometimes 1/4 inch at 200. The last time I chronoed it shot 3114 3109 and 3111. That was at the end of december. I chronoed it back in July and the numbers were in the low 3120's. Cant find my notes on that day but I remember there was like a 4 or 6 fps spread.

My go to load for my 300 RUM is 93.5 grains of Retumbo lit by a CCI 250 primer. Out of my 28" 10 twist Krieger I get around 3150 fps, this load holds 1/2-3/4 MOA out to 600 yards (as far as I've shot it).

My 300RUM is an out of the box remington m700 sps. I had a trigger job done and that is it. Not sure what the twist is on a factory barrel but i know it is 26 inches long.

Luke, I guess the couple of inches difference in barrel length would explain the little bit of difference we have in velocity.

Elk Chaser, it looks like we have about the same stick and shoot within 1/2 of a grain the same load. I am using a Winchester LR Magnum primer that seems to work better for me than the Federal LR Magnum primers I had been using. What has been your experience with the CCI and other primers? I might need to switch over and give the CCI a test run.

Elk Chaser, it looks like we have about the same stick and shoot within 1/2 of a grain the same load. I am using a Winchester LR Magnum primer that seems to work better for me than the Federal LR Magnum primers I had been using. What has been your experience with the CCI and other primers? I might need to switch over and give the CCI a test run.

I've only used the 250's in my gun as that's all I had when I started load development. I have no complaints with the primers, other than my ES could possibly improve from the 15-20 it's at now. I've seen no adverse effect from it to this point so I'll continue using them.

It was a factory barrel until a couple of weeks ago, now it wears a 27" 10 twist kreiger. I made no changes to my load for the 210 vlds other than seating depth adjustment and it shoots light out.

Varmint Hunter, thanks for the info. You're getting the exact velocity I am in 80 degree weather. What type of variance in velocity do you get with the powder you're using in varying temps?

My accuracy load is around 3210 fps with the 208 Amax bullet and H-870 powder with a 28" barrel. So I guess a guy could also get that with the bergers if he pushed it. I think that would be about the max velocity a guy could hope for accurately.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.